R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm currently riding a 2014 GSA with 45k miles and thinking about jumping up to a new 2022 GSA. I've read the 2022 is the same as the 2021 (options packaging changes only). I know the TFT, upgrades to the engine, new headlight, and keyless start are the Big Bang upgrades over the span of 8 years

My question is - has anybody made the jump to these new models from the 2014? Is it your opinion that this is a huge jump in performance/experience?

I'm planning on doing about 25k of touring this year know I can get about $9,500 on a trade in with the 45k in milage right now. I was told the trade-in would drop significantly adding 25k of miles. This is my 2nd GSA and know they can easily go to 200k miles. Just trying to figure out if I should jump now and pay 17k for improved model or just keep driving the 2014 for 4 or 5 years....

Thanks for your input!

Mark

·
Registered
152 Posts
If one is available I'd Go for it, knowing the supply issues if you did buy one and had to sell your loss would be minimal, I love the new motor the TFT is easy to see your speed

I would

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
I traded my 2017 GS ( non TFT ) in on my 2021 GSA , no regrets what so ever...you want be sorry if you decided to do it.

·
Registered
2017 R1200GSA
99 Posts
I would continue to ride the 2014 GSA. Your 2014 is still good for miles and miles. Hold on until the new generation comes out. Upgrade then if you like the new generation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm currently riding a 2014 GSA with 45k miles and thinking about jumping up to a new 2022 GSA. I've read the 2022 is the same as the 2021 (options packaging changes only). I know the TFT, upgrades to the engine, new headlight, and keyless start are the Big Bang upgrades over the span of 8 years

My question is - has anybody made the jump to these new models from the 2014? Is it your opinion that this is a huge jump in performance/experience?

I'm planning on doing about 25k of touring this year know I can get about $9,500 on a trade in with the 45k in milage right now. I was told the trade-in would drop significantly adding 25k of miles. This is my 2nd GSA and know they can easily go to 200k miles. Just trying to figure out if I should jump now and pay 17k for improved model or just keep driving the 2014 for 4 or 5 years....

Thanks for your input!

Mark
i have rode the 2015 gsa 1200 about 2 years back , at that time i wasn't ready to lose the big horse power of my KTM 1290 Super adventure . I test road the new 2021 gsa 1250 this past summer , have to say the new 1250 motor it amazing , so amazing that i traded in my KTM.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I sold my 2014 last fall and bought a 2020 in December.
Sell your bike for a premium, buy a new one at a premium as well. The gap between the two will be the lowest right now.
If you're going to trade in via the dealer, negotiate the trade-in value UP as used bikes are in high demand. Probably even more so than new bikes. If the price gap bothers you, just sell it yourself quickly and easily this time of year and close that gap by $3grand or so.

The 1200 GSA was incredible, but the1250 blows it away. I won't repeat the list of refinements you already know, but the riding difference is spectacular. Both on-road, and off.

Good luck and have fun!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been riding a 2014 GSA for 3 years. Tested the new 2021. Great bike and some good improvements…but staying with my 2014 as it serves me great, no complaints and keeping the extra money on my pocket. It’s all personal preference.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Thanks for your input!

Mark
Didn’t trade up from a 2014. My first GS was 2020 new. Had a K1600 before which I traded in.
I’ve also got a 2002 pan European and have tested the GS for a number of years and was always a little disappointed with the grunt finding it similar to the pan.

1250 arrives and I was smitten. It’s not as powerful as the K16 but weighs he’ll of a lot less and can do the same job with a Vario x-screen fitted.
TL:DR. The 1250 is a whole new kettle of fish as far as I’m concerned and made me jump from the ultimate tourer to something that will literally do everything.

Simply. Yes. Deffo worth the upgrade. 👍🏻

·
Registered
152 Posts
Didn’t trade up from a 2014. My first GS was 2020 new. Had a K1600 before which I traded in.
I’ve also got a 2002 pan European and have tested the GS for a number of years and was always a little disappointed with the grunt finding it similar to the pan.

1250 arrives and I was smitten. It’s not as powerful as the K16 but weighs he’ll of a lot less and can do the same job with a Vario x-screen fitted.
TL:DR. The 1250 is a whole new kettle of fish as far as I’m concerned and made me jump from the ultimate tourer to something that will literally do everything.

Simply. Yes. Deffo worth the upgrade.
Do you have the GS or the adventure,

I have a 2018 adventure and sometimes contemplating trading to the GS for less weight and seat height, I tried a lower seat then my knees were to high, but I have rode 32000 miles so something is good. For me to upgrade it's got to be a good deal or a significant difference

·
Registered
164 Posts
While there are some differences, there aren't enough to trade in my '16 GSA for a new one. And I freaking love my bike - have it kitted out exactly how I want it - would take a lot of time and money to recreate what I've got going on now, with essentially no usable difference in performance for me. New is fun though, whatever you do, ride it and enjoy it (and people usually end up buying new when they ask these questions, they're just looking for more 'reasons' to do what they don't want to admit they already want to do).

Reactions: PhillipGSA

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
2021 BMW R1250 GS Adventure
239 Posts
I had a '14 GSA I bought it in December 2018 with 12K miles for $14500. I put 58,000 miles on it and traded it in for a '21 GSA with Fifty Six miles on it (a Factory Demo Truck Bike) on Christmas Eve 2021.

I got just over $9,500 in trade. The "14 is presently listed at the dealer for $13,500.

I love the '21, it is much smoother, the suspension is better, the clutch engagement point doesn't move around, the transmission shifts without a clunk, you can easily find neutral, the lighting is much better and it has a lot more low end grunt. Other than that it is just like my '14.

·
Registered
41 Posts
While there are some differences, there aren't enough to trade in my '16 GSA for a new one. And I freaking love my bike - have it kitted out exactly how I want it - would take a lot of time and money to recreate what I've got going on now, with essentially no usable difference in performance for me. New is fun though, whatever you do, ride it and enjoy it (and people usually end up buying new when they ask these questions, they're just looking for more 'reasons' to do what they don't want to admit they already want to do).
" essentially no usable difference in performance for me" WHAT DOSE THAT MEAN ????
The whole point of the new 1250 Shift Cam is to have more usable power . It has provide that in spades. Its near perfect for power delivery IMO, if your a experienced throttle twister that is .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you have the GS or the adventure,

I have a 2018 adventure and sometimes contemplating trading to the GS for less weight and seat height, I tried a lower seat then my knees were to high, but I have rode 32000 miles so something is good. For me to upgrade it's got to be a good deal or a significant difference

I bought the GSA. I love it. It does everything I need. Haven’t managed to get Ona big tour yet to see how that goes but I have every faith that it’ll cover all the bases and more.
Considering when I’ve been on a European tour previously all you see everywhere is the GS and GSA I’m sure I’ll be in good company. 👍🏻

·
Registered
27 Posts
No usable difference in performance? 😳

·
Registered
32 Posts
IMO….everybody gets so hung up on incremental improvements year over year on bike revisions. Compare bikes from the 80’s, 90’s….up to now. Of course, as technology improves…bike performance will improve. 3 to 4 years from now we will all be talking about how the next generation GSA is so much better than the 2021. At the end of the day…all bikes are awesome within their own right and the technology of that year. What I do believe is that those who truly enjoy simply riding will be content on a 10 year old bike, 5 year old bike or a brand new bike. And those that want to spend for a 10 year old bike will be equally happy as those who spend for a brand new bike. I have had every end of the spectrum and can honesty say I have enjoyed older bikes equally as much as new bikes. However…new technology is cool…and that is what keeps us excited!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
IMO….everybody gets so hung up on incremental improvements year over year on bike revisions. Compare bikes from the 80’s, 90’s….up to now. Of course, as technology improves…bike performance will improve. 3 to 4 years from now we will all be talking about how the next generation GSA is so much better than the 2021. At the end of the day…all bikes are awesome within their own right and the technology of that year. What I do believe is that those who truly enjoy simply riding will be content on a 10 year old bike, 5 year old bike or a brand new bike. And those that want to spend for a 10 year old bike will be equally happy as those who spend for a brand new bike. I have had every end of the spectrum and can honesty say I have enjoyed older bikes equally as much as new bikes. However…new technology is cool…and that is what keeps us excited!!
And speaking to the sales staff last year at BMW they said that a new 1300 engine had been designed and tested but wouldn’t be released to the public. Go figure.
I have a 2002 Pan European that I’ve had for 16 years. Love that bike. They’re chalk and cheese the difference between that and my 2020 GSA. One of them will have to go. 😔

·
Administrator
1,830 Posts
" essentially no usable difference in performance for me" WHAT DOSE THAT MEAN ????
The whole point of the new 1250 Shift Cam is to have more usable power . It has provide that in spades. Its near perfect for power delivery IMO, if your a experienced throttle twister that is .
No usable difference in performance? 😳
Maybe @Sed8r got a really good one with his 2016.

We all hit a limit where a bike has enough power and more isn't useful. It is very subjective.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks for your input!

Mark
Hi . I’m in uk so deals may be different . I traded a 17 GS 1200 rallye that I loved for a 2022 1250 GSA Rallye fully loaded - had her 4 weeks ! The electronics , new engine , led lights plus the 3 year warranty and roadside assistance made it a no brainer ….. in between birth and death there is a period called ‘ the dash ‘ some call it life - I want my dash to be on the latest products if possible .

·
Administrator
1,830 Posts
Some previous banter on the topic:

And review:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts