R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
While there are some differences, there aren't enough to trade in my '16 GSA for a new one. And I freaking love my bike - have it kitted out exactly how I want it - would take a lot of time and money to recreate what I've got going on now, with essentially no usable difference in performance for me. New is fun though, whatever you do, ride it and enjoy it (and people usually end up buying new when they ask these questions, they're just looking for more 'reasons' to do what they don't want to admit they already want to do).

Reactions: PhillipGSA

·
Registered
164 Posts
The day I climb on a 1250 GSA and suddenly can do things that I can't do now... I just don't see that day coming. I suppose that's what I mean. I shouldn't be able to tour any better than I can currently, commute better than I can currently, ride trails and fire service roads better than I currently can or do anything else better than I currently can. It's not a ride-changing difference for me. I do all of that on my '16 with ease. I see no difficulty in performing any on or off road riding with my '16. I don't see the 1250 making me more capable. It's not the bike, it's the rider, I guess. I can do everything I want on my bike. Everything. It's not a bizarre statement at all. I don't need the machine to make up any difference for me, and I'm not racing such that differences, small or large, in performance will do anything for me at the end of the day.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would say the same about my 1150gs. Yet here I am, 4 bikes later.
Like I said in my first post.

I freaking love my bike - have it kitted out exactly how I want it... New is fun though, whatever you do, ride it and enjoy it
The original poster asked: Is it your opinion that this is a huge jump in performance/experience? (following numbers drawn from motorcycle specs.co.za - almost every site I had jumps around a bit on the numbers, but this place has 'em all together, it's easy to use and reference and I'm lazy)

Well, there's 11 HP and 13 ft/lbs Torque, German VTEC;), a really really nice TFT screen, and some modes that are slightly different than the model year he is comparing the new bike to. But it's got the same gear ratios and transmission ratio, the same catalytic converter, the same 210/220 mm front/rear wheel travel, the same size brake rotors (1mm larger in the rear) but different calipers, same wheel/rim/tire size, a few tenths of a degree of steering angle, and it's longer, wider, taller, and 19 lbs heavier with an additional 11 feet of stopping distance from 70mph-0, and reportedly yields fuel economy 3% worse in real world tests, though BMW claims a 4.4% improvement. It comes down to .23hp/lb for the '22 model vs .22hp/lb for the '14 - a 4% difference. I mean... Plusses and minuses. If it's worth $17K to him for that, I don't care one way or the other! He did, however, ask for an opinion, and that was mine - flawed as it may be.

Your old 1150 you referenced on the other hand... (I know you traded/sold it, but it serves as a really nice bike to contrast)
Between it, say a 2000 1150 GS and the new '21, you gain 51 hp, 34 ft/lbs of torque, taller gear ratios to take advantage of that power, a longer lasting wet clutch, about the same suspension travel front and rear and same size brakes, but you have ABS, traction control and all the electro-nannies and modes (which I like and use), a little more length and height, and 42lbs of weight, but an increase from .155hp/lb to .23hp/lb (a 38% increase in power!). That much difference, to me, would be worth the $17K, because I think I could objectively do more and really notice an almost 40% difference in power. I might notice a 4% difference, but it wouldn't sell me that hard.

Another thing I looked at - because this is an interesting thread to me (when to upgrade etc) was the claim from Nellyboy that "The power delivery and torque is completely different" - but Krons posted the dynos, which show basically the same curves with a spread expected with increased displacement (84 ccs!!) across the curve. So, to me the power delivery looks the same, just 4% better?

Then, I read an article on Bennetts (► VIDEO | BMW R1250GS (2019) review) that does the typical Moto/Auto journalist thing of typing whatever they can to hype the new model, raving about how the dyno tech even asked what the bike cost (inferring he wanted one after testing, as he was soOOoOOoo impressed). But when they posted the numbers, the new bike was .3 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile, had expected improvement in top gear roll on 60-90 and 50-10 (it's got 84cc's more engine, of course it will have more power!), but as I sat thinking about folks who seem to be Gobsmacked that I can't see a huge difference, "Have you ever rode [sic] a 1250??????"

I don't think I could close my eyes and tell the 2.8% difference if someone played audio one after the other of two motorcycle's shifting through the gears at maximum power and one sound lasted 12.04 seconds and the other sound only 11.7 seconds. I don't know if I could stick up a wet finger and tell the 1.9% difference between a 133mph top speed (1200) and a 135 top speed (1250).

A couple of quotes that stood out to me were, "Up to 80mph under all-gear acceleration, the old and new bikes are closely matched."

And this one: "So can we actually measure what Shiftcam does? This is the frustrating part: no. Because the new motor is 7.2 per cent larger, the R1250’s dyno curves will always be significantly healthier than the old 1200’s – Siftcam may be augmenting the delivery, but it’s impossible to point to a part of the curve and say, “Look! It’s there!”"

I guess my palate requires that my cheese has more than 4% difference than chalk. If they were that similar, I'd probably stick with eating chalk vs spending $17K on some cheese - especially if I already liked it? If they came out with a 1300GS that had a 40% bump in power like the 1250 does over the 1150... Well, that'd be about 188 hp.

In that case I'd be like that meme guy flashing cash and shouting SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!! Though Hayabusa power on a GS would probably not be a good idea. I'd be happy with the KTM 1290 Super adventure's 160hp and the 1250 GS's 105 ft lbs of torque.

*edited to fix some spelling errors - probably have more in there

1 - 3 of 3 Posts