R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the BMW headlight protector? I picked this accessory up the other day with the bike, but seems like an invasive install. I was looking for something that installs easily, and could be removed easy enough. Has anyone tried any other brands? Feedback appreciated!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While it looks intimidating, the BMW Headlight protector does a real good job and is easy to remove.

Thank you for providing the photos. Pictures help a ton, especially when the instructions aren't good. I will work on this tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The two lower mounts take the most time and the most work.
I have the two lower brackets installed with the new grommets, but having a hard time inserting the headlight assembly back in to position the plastic pins. Did you remove anything to enable placement of the headlight assembly?

Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have the two lower brackets installed with the new grommets, but having a hard time inserting the headlight assembly back in to position the plastic pins. Did you remove anything to enable placement of the headlight assembly?

Thanks
No are the posts on the proper side

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes - both arms are mounted in the correct position. I did finally get the headlight assembly positioned after finding out the trick with the grommets being flexible, and mounting the plastic pins first and then positioning the headlight assembly.

The other challenge was as you said the lower mounts, but particularly the one on the left that is obscured by one of the front fender attachments. You can't see what you're doing with the retaining clip and holding the washer in place simultaneously. After this was done it was a breeze.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Putting in the rubber grummets is a pain and probley the hardest part of the install. The other problem is caused if you do not remove enough Tupperware.
These pictures are with all Tupperware in place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i was told that u need to remove the entire tupperware infront of the seat inorder to access the headlight lower mount. is it possible to install the lower mount without removing the fairing?thanks :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No you should not need to remove the fairing at all. I recall when positioning the two bottom posts and re-inserting the headlight assembly that I used the rubber grommets flexibility to manipulate the headlight back into its normal position.

In my opinion re-inserting the two bottom retaining clips, especially the one on the left side was very difficult and the most challenging for me of the whole project.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No you should not need to remove the fairing at all. I recall when positioning the two bottom posts and re-inserting the headlight assembly that I used the rubber grommets flexibility to manipulate the headlight back into its normal position.

In my opinion re-inserting the two bottom retaining clips, especially the one on the left side was very difficult and the most challenging for me of the whole project.
Hi,

any hints on how i go about getting two those 2 bottom posts installed?

Is there a trick to removing the headlight assembly?

Thanks
al

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

any hints on how i go about getting two those 2 bottom posts installed?

Is there a trick to removing the headlight assembly?

Thanks
al
The BMW instructions do call for the disassembly of the front end order to install the protector, so this probably the right way to do it, but I was not prepared to remove and possibly damage the tupperware / clips etc.
I used a wire "hook" to carefully (and gently) pull the rubber grommets over the posts from the inside of the cockpit. To do this you need to remove the headlight bolts on either side and then maneuver the headlight until you have the most space available at the bottom. If I remember correctly I turned the headlight to face up.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Has anyone installed the BMW headlight protector? I picked this accessory up the other day with the bike, but seems like an invasive install. I was looking for something that installs easily, and could be removed easy enough. Has anyone tried any other brands? Feedback appreciated!
May not have the industrial strength look of the cages, but I have been very happy with the product from CeeBailey. Attaches with three very inconspicuous pieces of velcro, covers the entire lens, is very protective, is very secure, but can be removed easily when you choose, and...(drum roll), last I checked was <$60. Had their cover for my former r1200r and was so pleased with it that they were my gold standard for headlight protection. I think those cages are ugly and they will allow small pebbles in, and it's probably a chore to clean the lens of the headlight?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
May not have the industrial strength look of the cages, but I have been very happy with the product from CeeBailey. Attaches with three very inconspicuous pieces of velcro, covers the entire lens, is very protective, is very secure, but can be removed easily when you choose, and...(drum roll), last I checked was <$60. Had their cover for my former r1200r and was so pleased with it that they were my gold standard for headlight protection. I think those cages are ugly and they will allow small pebbles in, and it's probably a chore to clean the lens of the headlight?
Didn't they close their motorcycle division recently?

Mike

·
Registered
765 Posts
Didn't they close their motorcycle division recently?

Mike
I did not know that, but checking around the web, seems to confirm that they are just aircraft plastics now. I am sorry to hear that, I liked thier products

This looks like it though
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R1200GS-2013-UP-Cee-Baileys-Headlight-Armor-Aircraft-Plastics-HAB1200GS/182362096254?epid=787244939&hash=item2a75a0c27e:g:zowAAOSw-kdXziW2&vxp=mtr

Mine is 30K miles old and remains mint. It essentially disappears on the bike unlike the medieval look of the headlight cages--which also obstruct light.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts