R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. I have a 2014 R1200GS, original owner since new. Recently, the bike has failed to restart while in gear. Sidestand is up. The bike starts easily in neutral. The nearest BMW bike dealer is a three-hour ride away. The battery is original and is kept on a battery tender throughout the winters. The bike has been maintained since new by either the BMW dealer or by a professional bike mechanic. What can you recommend as possible solutions?
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,183 Posts
Adjust or replace the clutch safety switch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Starts easily in neutral and you can shift into gear and ride it just fine once started?

Then yeah, likely the clutch safety switch. If on the other hand, it dies immediately after being put into gear, it's the side stand safety switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Or your battery does not have enough cold cranking amps to start it in gear. I have a ‘17 GS with original battery and it cranks over slower in gear vs neutral. A few times it wouldn’t start in gear so I put in in neutral to start.

·
Registered
44 Posts
New member here. I have a 2014 R1200GS, original owner since new. Recently, the bike has failed to restart while in gear. Sidestand is up. The bike starts easily in neutral. The nearest BMW bike dealer is a three-hour ride away. The battery is original and is kept on a battery tender throughout the winters. The bike has been maintained since new by either the BMW dealer or by a professional bike mechanic. What can you recommend as possible solutions?
Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Just a question do you have additional grips on like grip puppies etc?
If so check the clutch travel knob, if on the smallest travel the clutch does not trael far enough for the safety switch to be depressed, you will have to pull very hard to get it to depress.

Turn the knob out one notch.

I had grip puppies on and had starting issues, played around with it and found the safety when pulling the clutch in slowly you her click when depressed...

Hope thats your issue as well.

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,183 Posts
.. could be the clutch switch or (as in my case) you'd need to pull in the clutch all the way in until it touches the grip by removing your fingers from behind the clutch lever.
You can adjust the engage/disengage point of the clutch switch by moving the switch in the lever housing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts