R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I am trying to do most of the routine maintenance myself. I am reasonably handy but this is the first time bleeding the brakes. Watched some videos, rear brake looks pretty easy so I give it a go. I don't have a Gs911 yet so I try the hold and release method and I get all the older(dark) fluid out and put in some fresh DOT 4. I go through about a third of a small container to make sure the fluid is running clear with no air bubbles. I am satisfied so I tighten everything up, make sure the level in the reservoir is good and make sure there is no brake fluid drips anywhere.

I spin the rear wheel and hit the brakes, they grab instantly. Perfect, no drag, great grab. I try it several times, perfect. Now I grab the front brake, the wheel keeps spinning? I did not change the front brake fluid yet. It seems that the brakes are not linked? I almost always use the front brakes exclusively, except for low speed stuff. I know its a bad habit. The bike is in "Road" mode so I thought the brakes are linked. I did have it in "Enduro" mode the other day but have since switched it back.

I didn't try spinning the rear wheel and squeezing the front brake before I started so now I am questioning if I messed something up, or if it was always this way?

J

·
Registered
761 Posts
Like normal

I just bleed the brakes like any other bike. The 911 only clears out the last tiny bit in the ABS module. The brakes are electronically activated, so I assume only actuates while underway.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I changed my brake fluid recently using the same method as you described. I had no issues.
Have you applied the front brake lever at full travel a number of times?
(and)
If you remove the filler cap, can you see any movement in the brake fluid?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
A couple things about the linked braking system is that first the bike engine must be started for it to work at all and secondly only just about 10% braking braking force is sent to the rear and that is only if a good squeeze is applied.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx

Got it finished. Brake fluid front and rear, and final drive oil change. Now for the valve check:surprise: Thanks for the quick replies.

J

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
anybody have a torque setting for the bleeder nuts?

I am not due for a about 6 months, but the last time I did it, tightening down the bleeder nuts seemed a little squishy and I did not want to strip them.

2016 GSLC

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Front Pressure?

The bike has to be running for the linked brakes to work. Both foot and hand levers have really good feel to them now. I am able to stop on a dime;)

J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts