R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need the part numbers for the Brass Insert and screw located at the lower end of the fuel tank. I cross-threaded the screw and it was impossible to untighten as the fitting was also spinning with the screw, so I had to carefully remove the brass fitting (see pictures). I think the screw is M5X14,5-A2-70 but not 100%. Any help is greatly appreciated!

639323939.jpg 20210403_200330.jpg

·
Super Moderator
969 Posts
Try searching here:

May be able to find what you need at a well stocked hardware store.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Doubt you'll be able to find the brass plug as a spare part - had a similar issue - bottom tapped the brass plug and epoxied it back into the gas tank w/new screw and, so far so good; good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doubt you'll be able to find the brass plug as a spare part - had a similar issue - bottom tapped the brass plug and epoxied it back into the gas tank w/new screw and, so far so good; good luck
I just realized that during the process of extracting the brass plug I actually perforated the tank at the bottom of the plug location. What suppose to be a straightforward/easy job is turning into a nightmare. The puncture is very small (5/64) but big enough for gas to leak out with movement. Since I have to apply epoxy to put the brass plug back in, would the epoxy also seal the puncture? Also, any recommendation on a particular Epoxy brand? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
969 Posts
I just realized that during the process of extracting the brass plug I actually perforated the tank at the bottom of the plug location. What suppose to be a straightforward/easy job is turning into a nightmare. The puncture is very small (5/64) but big enough for gas to leak out with movement. Since I have to apply epoxy to put the brass plug back in, would the epoxy also seal the puncture? Also, any recommendation on a particular Epoxy brand? Thanks for your help!
Epoxy should do the job. Make sure you get an epoxy that will work in a fuel environment. If I poked a hole in my tank in an off I'd epoxy to fix it.

If BMW does not offer the plug it's gotta be available via a hardware store, Grainger or eBay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts