R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently replaced my rear brake rotor and pads with a Galfer set. This is my second set of Galfers in the rear and the first set worked great.
After 500 miles of bed-in, I noticed the right side of the rotor was only wearing on the outer edge. I ordered another set of pads and once I installed them I could clearly see a gap between the caliper fingers and the pad. (This is with the brake pedal pressed down hard.)
Not that it would matter in this case, but the caliper pins are free and the caliper floats just fine.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I should add that the bike has 92,000 miles on it. :grin2:
Oh, and the caliper mounting points are clean, nothing in there that would make it sit crooked.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did you clean and lube the brake pad retaining pin?

·
Registered
100 Posts
If it was me, I'd take the caliper off and give a good cleaning and copper grease the pads. Would appear the pad is not to spec.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've ordered a used caliper. I'll see if it helps. I think the caliper is actually bent.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would think you would have noticed that with previous pads unless something happened in the install. Pain to have to bleed brakes in the change out...a good time to change brake fluid while you are at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts