R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a 2016 GS for 2 up riding with the wife. We both have Gerbing heated jackets and gloves. I am concerned that the 510W alternator may not have enough capacity to handle the bikes requirements and 2 sets of heated gear. Anybody have experience with the LC GS and running 2 sets of heated gear?

·
Registered
108 Posts
6 amps

I had similar concerns. I measured my jacket (alone) at 3.5 ohms, and (Jacket + heated gloves) at 2.4 ohms (in parallel with jacket.) [e.g., I (current) = v/r; = 14/2.4 = around 6 amps with both jacket and gloves; around 4 amps with just the jacket. Power = v[14v]*i, or 90 watts for jacket and gloves; around 60 watts with just a single jacket, if that helps your planning. Particularly if your 510w bike has LED lights should not be a problem.

I have 2016 R12GS--really love that heated gear!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did buy the 2016 and I performed a test on it and my 2018 Suzuki DL650XT. This is the post I made on the V Strom forum regarding the test.

Yesterday 10-1-2019 I did a test on my 2018 DL650XT and my 2016 R1200GS to determine if my wife and I could use our heated gear at the same time. The gear is older Gerbing jackets and gloves with the controllers turned up to maximum output. I had previously tested the DL650XT with just my heated gear and found that it could handle the heated gear UNLESS I put the high beam on. If I did the alternator could not keep up with the load. Yesterday's test was with a digital voltmeter connected directly to the battery. I found that the dashboard voltmeter read .2 volts lower than the battery connected voltmeter. I also found that the bike could run both jackets and gloves using low beam but as expected with high beam on the battery voltage dropped rapidly. For you 2016 R1200GS owners if there are any on this forum, I found that the bike had no problems handling the 2 sets of heated gear.

·
Survivor
681 Posts
I did buy the 2016 and I performed a test on it and my 2018 Suzuki DL650XT. This is the post I made on the V Strom forum regarding the test.

Yesterday 10-1-2019 I did a test on my 2018 DL650XT and my 2016 R1200GS to determine if my wife and I could use our heated gear at the same time. The gear is older Gerbing jackets and gloves with the controllers turned up to maximum output. I had previously tested the DL650XT with just my heated gear and found that it could handle the heated gear UNLESS I put the high beam on. If I did the alternator could not keep up with the load. Yesterday's test was with a digital voltmeter connected directly to the battery. I found that the dashboard voltmeter read .2 volts lower than the battery connected voltmeter. I also found that the bike could run both jackets and gloves using low beam but as expected with high beam on the battery voltage dropped rapidly. For you 2016 R1200GS owners if there are any on this forum, I found that the bike had no problems handling the 2 sets of heated gear.
What RPM were you running during the test?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RPM was not constant, it was whatever it took to bring voltage up, never higher than 5000 as that is about as high an rpm as I ride at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts