R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original owner of '16 1200 GSA with 35k miles. I'm having some shifting gremlins that I can't isolate the root cause. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd is 50/50 successful with issues in some other gear shifts (both up and down) but with less frequency. After searching for the forum for "oil/gear/shifting" I really didn't find anything out there. I did find that the '16 model shares engine oil so there is no transmission-specific routine maintenance. Before heading out on a 2300 mile trip last week I changed my oil. My question is this....can my issue be with too much oil being that I just changed it and maybe overfilled? Back home now, I plan on doing a better check on the oil level today but was pretty sure it read dead center before I left. Another weird thing was that it had NO problem while at elevation (trip was to Big Bend, TX appx 7k feet ) but going/coming from sea level is where the issues occurred. Probably not related but just was weird. Same boots etc that I did 10k miles to Alaska in 2019 with no issues ...i.e. nothing different other than the recent oil change. Any suggestions are welcomed....nearest dealer is 300 miles away after my local one had to close due to Covid and hate to have to go there if there is a simple solution. Thanks

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
187 Posts
I've had the same issue on one of my previous bikes. It was Suzuki DL1000. In my case it was 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. It started after oil change at Suzuki dealer. The suggestion from a friend was to change oil and filter again, and to go with Motul 7100 4T 5W40. Not the cheapest oil but I did it and bike started shifting better then ever. Also, that oil would give me the same feeling on the shifter from day one until the day it was supposed to be changed. It has never hapened to me before as I would start to feel shifting more difficult as the oil was degrading after about half of mileage to be replaced.
After that, all my bikes always took Motul 7100 4T 5W40.
My new GS will get that one as well as soon as it comes to its first annual oil change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had the same issue on one of my previous bikes. It was Suzuki DL1000. In my case it was 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. It started after oil change at Suzuki dealer. The suggestion from a friend was to change oil and filter again, and to go with Motul 7100 4T 5W40. Not the cheapest oil but I did it and bike started shifting better then ever. Also, that oil would give me the same feeling on the shifter from day one until the day it was supposed to be changed. It has never hapened to me before as I would start to feel shifting more difficult as the oil was degrading after about half of mileage to be replaced.
After that, all my bikes always took Motul 7100 4T 5W40.
My new GS will get that one as well as soon as it comes to its first annual oil change.
Thanks for the reply. Now that you mention it...I did switch from Ravenol to Castrol for this oil change based on Amazon availability and my trip timing. The last two were with Ravenol. I didn't think it would matter. Just ordered the Motul 7100 4T 5W40. It is worth a shot for $60 and a man/hr or two to change the oil/filter again. I'll post an update if it works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had a Nissan xterra with a 6 speed manual that was very picky about the fluid it liked. I tried a couple different brands and it shifted terrible with every single one. I went back to Nissan OEM tranny fluid and the tranny went back to behaving itself. I ended up going down a rabbit hole about vehicle fluids. I don't want to admit how many hours I spent on that. Unless you plan on running any vehicle on a track, educate as best as you can. If you want your vehicle to run as it did when new, go with whatever the manufacture recommends

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I've been using in both my 2017 and 2021 with no issues what so ever...
Good to know. My gut is saying that it is not the oil causing the problem...I'll eliminate that theory with an oil change next week with Motul then go to plan B if needed. I put 2500 miles on the Castrol so not a total waste of money if it doesn't rectify the problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good to know. My gut is saying that it is not the oil causing the problem...I'll eliminate that theory with an oil change next week with Motul then go to plan B if needed. I put 2500 miles on the Castrol so not a total waste of money if it doesn't rectify the problem.
I have a 2018 R1200 GS bought new with now 39,000 miles mostly road.. No problems except this past few weeks having trouble getting it out of second gear. Always dealer serviced
and using the recommended oil. Just had the dealer check it and they could not replicate the shifting problem. On the way home it stuck in second gear three times. I been riding
for many years and many miles tried everything and it is hit or miss to get it out. Frustrated!!

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
187 Posts
Getting the gear stuck is usualy result of the air in hydraulic clutch fluid system. It would be normal to happen in much older bike but it is strange if the air made its way into the system on your bike.
However, if it was on my bike I would bleed the system just to make sure. But for that, you need some extra fluid and, as I could understand from service manuals, it's hard to get to the bleeding nipple.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts