R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first time poster. I just bought a 2016 R1200GS and have done about 850km. The top of the the engine seems incredibly noisy above 3000rpm. Cruising along at 80-100km/h it seems to make a metallic almost rasping clatter. When i accelerate it actually sounds better ie it seems worse when the engine is not under load. Any thoughts would be most welcome. [Engine Oil is fine]
I also ride a Ducati Monster which is practically silent in comparison!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I really can't be of much assistance as I don't know what you're hearing exactly. The water boxer does have it's own whirs & clanks and, if you're not used to it, I'm sure they could be disconcerting. My '09 GSA had a completely different set of noises except for the common first gear "clunk." As mentioned, you checked the oil level and that's what I'd have done. I believe I'd check with the dealer and tell him what you're hearing. I'll bet the chances are pretty good he'll say, "They all do that."

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my 2016 GSA for a few months now. I have the same noise on mine, honestly a bit refreshing to know I'm not the only one who hears it. Asked the dealer about it and the answer was it's normal..."caused by the clutch and gears sitting on the front of the motor". Had I noticed it during the test ride, I probably wouldn't have bought the bike...for 24k it shouldn't sound like someone left a bag of bolts in it. It's a great bike otherwise and I keep telling myself I'll get used to the noise, until then I'll avoid taking the Multi Enduro on a test ride ;).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thoughts

Been pondering this question ever since I've discovered this site. I wonder if it's a combination of factors magnifying normal engine noises
-engine configuration. The boxer is a unique design and if you're not used to it, it's completely different from other engines. With the heads out in the breeze instead of undertank of fairings, everything's unmuffled.
- design styling. Big wide tank and guards can direct and seemingly magnify noises previously unnoticed.
- drivetrain. The above plus the whirrings of hypoid/straight cut gears have a sound all their own.
- cold motors can sound a bit different.
I reckon generally there aren't major issues behind every noise, but if it makes you go looking or pay more attention to the bike and its care/maintenance, then it can't be a bad thing.
:grin2:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I test rode a new GS this weekend (my third test in the last two years) and the engine noise was horrible. I thought I could get past it but before I finally put on ear plugs, it was almost a deal breaker. My ride home was such a pleasure on my 2010 GSTC, with its throaty exhaust and virtually silent motor (at freeway speeds) and in town the steady thrumming is music to my ears. I liked everything else about the new bike and I have a 2017 on order, but it's still clawing in the back of my mind whether or not I can live with the clatter. I'm really disappointed with BMW that they let their new motor sound so bad. I'm hoping maybe next year they'll address this with some sound deadening material or something. A $23K machine should have the sound of precision as all previous BMW's have had since day one. IMO it's the worst sounding motor in the industry. Granted, at full throttle the exhaust overshadows it, but cruising through town with no load on the motor, it's downright embarrassing. Shame on you BMW, get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Hopefully, the OP has solved the issue of his "noisy engine." Now, this is just my experience with BMW's "water-boxer" engine. As I mentioned in a earlier post, the new engine does have its own set of noises. One of the most numerous complaints I've read about and heard, is the sound a hot engine makes when idling. If warm enough, this noise is a compression release mechanism that is disconcerting to some. It's just the price you pay for having the extra horsepower at your beck & call.

Case in point: Here's a photo I took in Death Valley one hot morning:

I spied these two coyotes while riding on Badwater Road toward Shoshone and coasted to a stop with the engine off. After taking a few photos, I got back on the bike, fired 'er up and, yup, the compression release mechanism was doing its thing. The normally skittish animals didn't move. The engine just isn't that noisy. It's just a different sound.

I've crossed the US twice on my '14 and, in just under five weeks, I'll leave for Alaska. This machine is, without question, the finest BMW I've owned and I like having the extra power of the water-cooled engine. Noise? What noise.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I have tinnitus bad so I play music through my Sena to block the buzzing in my ears and no more engine noise.
Bob, if you've been hanging around that P-51, no wonder you have tinnitus but I can think of no finer way to acquire that issue. When traveling your part of the country, I probably would have heard your tinnitus had mine not been so bad.

Mike

·
Registered
758 Posts
Bob, if you've been hanging around that P-51, no wonder you have tinnitus but I can think of no finer way to acquire that issue. When traveling your part of the country, I probably would have heard your tinnitus had mine not been so bad.

Mike
P51 is a fun ride! I was looking up at redwood trees when I went for a ride. :surprise:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone. Just bought a 2016 r1200gs triple black.Have done 800km on it and love it,except for the noise coming as you guys describe from above 3000 rpm .The sound Im hearing is clanking almost like valves on a cold diesel truck and its coming from the front.Its a quite hard metal clanking.Dont know if its being magnified by the thinner break in oil the dealer said was in the engine.But he said "they all sound like that"when I mentioned the noise.Is this hard clanking noise normal? Coming from a Honda twin this engine dont sound normal to me.Anyone any ideas what this sound might come from

·
Registered
1 Posts
R1200GSA Noise

I have 2016 R1200GSA, just purchased this June 2016, and have noted the same odd noise. It seems to be coming more from the front of the bike. Definitely not from the exhaust or back of the bike. It sounds like metal grinding and rattling on metal and is loud enough to be heard over the engine and wind sounds. Has anyone contacted BMW Motarrad about this?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have 2016 R1200GSA, just purchased this June 2016, and have noted the same odd noise. It seems to be coming more from the front of the bike. Definitely not from the exhaust or back of the bike. It sounds like metal grinding and rattling on metal and is loud enough to be heard over the engine and wind sounds. Has anyone contacted BMW Motarrad about this?
Yep..heard the same thing, like valves or incomplete octane pinging, on occasion on my long ride out west and back..seems to go quiet(resets?) after slowing to a stop and resuming to highway speed..

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder if it's related to the water pump issue that some are experiencing.. Seems the pump input shaft that slips on to the crank shaft are two pieces connected with a joint pin..any play or misalignment maybe what some are hearing.. Also it's this looseness or misalignment that maybe causing the pump shaft seal to prematurely wear resulting in early leakage..BMW calls it "weepage"..

·
Registered
170 Posts
.... It sounds like metal grinding and rattling on metal and is loud enough to be heard over the engine and wind sounds. Has anyone contacted BMW Motarrad about this?
Another description: Putting a hundred bolts and nuts in an empty paint can and inserting it into a paint shaker turned on high.:mad:

And yes, thousands of owners have contacted Motorrad. Always with the same result: "They all do that"

Mine is just as noisy at 24,000 miles as when new....I just don't notice it anymore....that is until the dealer gave me an F800R last month for a loaner...I had to check the tach to be sure that the engine was really on!:surprise:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts