R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GS I'm about to purchase has a manufacture date March 2017, and includes hill start assist- is it considered a 2017.5?

·
Super Moderator
786 Posts
The GS I'm about to purchase has a manufacture date March 2017, and includes hill start assist- is it considered a 2017.5?
The only distinction I'm aware of is for the bikes built before and after the Germans take their holiday break in August. If it's built after August 2017 then it might have some improvements they introduced, or not. I'm not aware of any other distinctions that would make a half-year model important to know but I'm happy to learn something new.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GB.
The bike is a new 2017 GS. From what I'm discovering, there were some slight changes during the 2017 production run that started after the '16 August break. Some folks are posting about 2017.5s v early production 2017s, and I'm not sure what the differences- if any- are.
I'm picking up the bike Friday and feel like a kid before Christmas. At 61, I thought I might handle the wait better- it's not the first bike I ever bought...

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If this GS was built in March 2017 it is a 2017 model, not a 2017.5 which rolled into production in June.
Differences are the color of the brake calipers and some minor changes in the ESA, also the availability of the new TFT cluster.
Congrats on the new GS.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If this GS was built in March 2017 it is a 2017 model, not a 2017.5 which rolled into production in June.
Differences are the color of the brake calipers and some minor changes in the ESA, also the availability of the new TFT cluster.
Congrats on the new GS.
The cut off was actually November 2016. My bike was made in November 2016 and is a 2017 model according to the pink slip. Might have been the last one made with the older style. In my mind there were fairly significant upgrades to the half year version. Hill assist was one of them. The 2017.5's were already rolling into showrooms in June 2017 when I bought my garden variety 2017. Ironically there are literally two versions of a 2017 GSW but there won't be a 2017.5 listed in any NADA or Blue Book listings so trade in values will not be affected. Both are fantastic machines. I actually prefer the older side fairings and over all look of the last version.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Congrats on the new GS.
In India the 2017.5 came in November 2017 and had the following changes:
1) Fully automatic ESA
2) Some changes in the gearbox
3) TFT option
4) New colors

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine was manufactured in late summer of 2017. I was told it has an improved transmission. I rode another 2017 and I can confirm the transmission shifts much different. Much easier with shorter movement and no "clunk".

I am also told that hill hold is available for mine and earlier versions and is just a software change.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine was manufactured in late summer of 2017. I was told it has an improved transmission. I rode another 2017 and I can confirm the transmission shifts much different. Much easier with shorter movement and no "clunk".

I am also told that hill hold is available for mine and earlier versions and is just a software change.

Yes the hill hold is a plug and play upgrade. My dealer is doing mine at the 12k service.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There were two R1200GS updates in 2017.

The first were mechanical. Improvements to gearbox, suspension and emissions.

The second were cosmetic. Redesigned fuel tank cover and different shaped silver coloured radiator side panels.

It must have really pissed off buyers of the first update thinking they had had the latest version only to discover that it would then also look different a few months later.

·
Registered
97 Posts

The second were cosmetic. Redesigned fuel tank cover and different shaped silver coloured radiator side panels.

It must have really pissed off buyers of the first update thinking they had had the latest version only to discover that it would then also look different a few months later.
You would be right on the "pissed" part. It will be fun when I go to trade in my old regular 2017 in two more years at the same dealer who told me the "only difference in the 2017.5 was the plastics". NOT. Fact is there is no real "2017.5" model. Those bikes are registered as 2017's and blue book prices will be the same for both versions so trade in values will be the same. Really a dumb move on BMW's part. The 2017.5 is really a 2018 that was introduced a bit early causing much confusion and some pissed off buyers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up the bike Friday and it does have the hill assist and the "auto" ESA, but not TFT. Only have 50 miles on it and love it...

·
Registered
106 Posts

I paid 3200 less for mine built in November 2016 and like the look better. Plus I can handle my bike on hills. Not sure what else im missing but I love my bike and saved a lot. :wink2:

·
Registered
106 Posts
You would be right on the "pissed" part. It will be fun when I go to trade in my old regular 2017 in two more years at the same dealer who told me the "only difference in the 2017.5 was the plastics". NOT. Fact is there is no real "2017.5" model. Those bikes are registered as 2017's and blue book prices will be the same for both versions so trade in values will be the same. Really a dumb move on BMW's part. The 2017.5 is really a 2018 that was introduced a bit early causing much confusion and some pissed off buyers.
Paid less for my leftover :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nahhh I'll do it the old fashion way, hold the rear/front brakes and work the clutch :grin2: I get daily practice on commute to work, I always manage to catch the red light on steep uphill. The first few times I embarrassingly stalled her. After more practice I don't even think about it. I'm almost ready to take a scenic trip to downtown San Francisco with a passenger. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dealer installed Hill Assist on my garden variety 2017 at no charge to compensate for the 2017.5 thing. It was the right thing to do and he will be seeing me in two years when it's time for a new GS. All is well and the hill assist thing is pretty handy. Now my bike is a 2017.25:grin2:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I use hill assist more as a park brake when I'm stopped on any incline, I always release it before riding off as it's too hard on the clutch when used the way it's intended to be.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use hill assist more as a park brake when I'm stopped on any incline, I always release it before riding off as it's too hard on the clutch when used the way it's intended to be.
How do you release the Hill Hold Assist? I thought the only way was to put it in gear and go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts