R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Had the same issue with my GS (not an Adventure). I tend to brake using two fingers but found that the lever was touching my other fingers. If I pumped the lever the brake was ok. Made emergency braking entertaining! My dealer did tests and bled the system, with no effect. It was sorted by replacing the master cylinder.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Get the feeling the level of service with warranty work varies from dealer to dealer and country to country. Here in the UK my local BMW dealer sorts issues without hesitation or question.

In my experience Honda rarely go wrong but when they do Honda pretend that they don't and try to fob you off. Front fork seal went on my CRF250L. Had to take it back to dealer. They photographed it. They sent photo to Honda who then gave them permission to repair it. Did Honda think I was making it up???

·
Registered
243 Posts
As I explained recently I had the front master cylinder replaced which improved the problem of the spongy front brake lever. Today I noticed that the problem has returned. When two finger braking I YET AGAIN found the lever touching my other fingers. In fact, when I haven't used the brake lever for a short while (parked or waiting at traffic lights) it's possible to pull the lever back to the handlebars.

NOT GOOD! NOT GOOD AT ALL! IN FACT IT'S BLOODY DANGEROUS!!!

Tomorrow I am taking it back to the dealer and they can keep it until it is sorted.

·
Registered
243 Posts
This brake issue is obviously pissing us both off!!!!

The dealer is now saying that my brakes are binding (with wheel raised it is not spinning a freely as it should). They are now going to strip down the callipers and replace seals etc.

Speaking to someone who has been in the motor trade for decades, he thinks it won't make any difference. I tend to agree but if I have to cooperate or they will never get to the bottom of the problem.

Perhaps the replacement master cylinder is faulty? If it is I guess it's unlikely to be replaced again and the problem will persist.

Matter of interest. Can you hear a slight 'hiss' from the master cylinder area when pulling on the brake lever. Perhaps someone can comment as to whether this is normal.

*******UPDATE*****

Checked in on dealer TODAY, since i have not heard a word fOr over 2 weeks. I spoke to mechanic that's dealing with my issue.

What's the latest from BMW, did you hear anything? Yeah they want us to try and bleed it again, another overnight process.

What are you going to do different this time, I don't think it will work?
reply: It doesn't affect all models just some- says Mr Mechanic. Which I reply. I rode a friends 2016 GSA in Idaho this weekend. Same spongy feel, very scary when we had it in Enduro Mode we rode over 150 miles Silver City to Jordan Valley loop. I asked what's the bulletin number for brake issue? HE didnt reply. I asked because my friend took his 2016 GSA under warranty to Idaho BMW and they charged him $175 to bleed. WTF I told my friend to get his money back since his brake lever feel was more spongy than mine. I relayed to mechanic.

This is when I heard a different tune. Now he is going to order master cylinder but I will still need to take it in next week so he can try another overnight bleed (i dont think it will work) if it doent work then he will replace the master cylinder. I asked him, why does he need to do it again, that didn't work last time? No reply. I said OK but it's a big inconvenience for me to take overnight (AGAIN) then wait to see if it works (I DOUBT) then he will replace the master cylinder. I left after that since i only stopped off on my lunch.

Sidenote- I had to follow up (AGAIN) for update.

I am getting closer to hopefully resolve my spongy front brake feel. But after hearing from "boringoldfart" how the master cylinder replacement temporarily worked but is now back to initial issues. (Maybe needs 2 overnight bleed HAHAHAHHAHA)

*******TO BE CONTINUED******

·
Registered
243 Posts
My front wheel will spin when off the ground but perhaps not quite as freely as it could (disc pads always slightly rub the disc since pads are forced against the disc under braking BUT are not pulled away from the disc after braking).

My dealer seems to think they are dragging enough to cause heat build up to effect the brake fluid and therefore causing the spongy braking. I don't believe it for one minute, but what the hell do I know.

Will let you (and anyone else who is remotely interested) know tomorrow the outcome.

Hey Ho.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Collected bike from dealer.

Brake lever still feels spongy.

To be honest totally bored and frustrated by the whole issue.

Going to adapt my braking technique from two fingers to four when riding enthusiastically.

Warranty expires in 6 months. Need I say more!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have my lever set at '4' which is the position furthest from the handlebar. I have big hands!!!! Must try at position '2'. To be honest the front brake currently is not too bad but that's probably due to them being bled at my last visit to the dealer. Being a cynic I suspect they will deteriorate soon.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well put rrrdbw.

I have never had a motorcycle where, after a short break, it's possible to pull the brake lever back to the handlebars.

It can't be right!

I would ask that the members go to their parked GS' and grab the front brake lever FIRMLY and quickly. Will the lever touch (or very nearly) the handlebar?

Posting the result on this forum could be interesting (or not).

Thanks in anticipation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts