R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
One question remains:
Does the braking system perform or is it dangerous at times?
Not sure about consumer laws in your country, but if they have to try more than 3 times to get something right, you should have every right to return the vehicle.
You probably have no chance in returning the bike, if the braking system performs as it should and it is just a subjective "feel".
Have you ridden one of their demo bikes to compare?

·
Registered
168 Posts
This has now turned into a private conversation between two guys.
There would be more people involved, if it is such a big thing.

Lose spokes on wheels are a major concern and BMW should have had better quality control, issues with front forks not holding up to a task are also a major concern.
But the "spongy" feeling is not a major concern, as the brakes work and the bike stops.

It must be frustrating to deal with this, but you might want to look into your local consumer laws and get legal advice, if you think it is a technical issue.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The Boring Old Fart and you turned this into a private conversation and the Fart always whines and complains about the GS.
Hence I lost interest following this thread for some time.

The brakes work apparently, just feel spongy. Feeling is subjective and there is no issue with the brakes stopping the bike, if I am reading your comments correctly.
If there was a safety issue, it would be a much bigger thing than it is, and it is a rare problem as well.

The spokes are a serious issue, but again, only happens since they changed suppliers and only bikes from a specific batch/manufacturing date.

I'm not sure what your consumer laws are like, but you might want to check this.
I personally wouldn't have the energy to go back and forth with the dealer and getting my braking system bled numerous times.
They would get two attempts to fix and would have the bike back the third time, with a letter from a lawyer attached to it.
You might want to get hold of that specific service bulletin, in case you want to go down this path.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts