R1200GS Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have owned both a 2010 R1200 GSA and now ride a 2013 R1200 GSA (last air cooled). I have the exact same spongy feel. Braking with two fingers gets scary when the lever pulls in an hits my other fingers against the grip. I bleed brakes every year with regular viscosity DOT4 and a GS911 and software to modulate the ABS pumps. I attribute the sponginess to the longer fluid routing and ABS pump and linked front/rear but will try the DOT 4 low-viscosity next time. Will follow this thread. I can't believe that the master cylinders are bad on your practically new bikes and wanted to add that I have always had the same concern since the bikes were new. It is obvious for anyone who rides and grabs the brake lever even without actually riding it.

If you pull the lever twice sequentially it is much more solid. Seems like you have built up some pressure at that point? I've never had a problem coming to a stop and often ride pretty hard including off-road. Brake performance is good but brake feel is not good.
Same here... brakes (front and rear) perform well, but feel is "soft".

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had a soft pedal and lever on my 2016 GS with a dealer first bled them. I went back a month later and had a different tech bleed the brakes and now they’re like peppy in the morning,hard!

·
I'd rather be flying
239 Posts
I have been having the same brake problem with my 2016 R1200RS. The front feels really squishy and the lever pulls almost all the way back to the throttle. It was really strong when I first got the bike. I bled the brakes. I replaced the fluid. I did try a method of tying the front brake lever overnight and that helped a little but still spongy. My 2015 R1200GSA has great brakes. I've gone through a dozen BMW bikes and my RS has worse brakes than anything I've ridden. I'm going to try to bleed the fluid again and again until it gets fixed. Thanks for the post and a solution. The forums haven't been much help thus far. This is the first one I've found that actually had a solution. I hope I can fix it.

·
Registered
2017 R1200GSA
50 Posts
I have a 2017 GSA with 12K miles. Same spongy front brake lever for the last 8 months (since I started to notice; it could had been there longer). With two-finger braking, the brake lever would hit the other two fingers. I have to extend the lever out, just 1 click from the max distance, to get an adequate braking. If my right hand is bigger I would have it extended to the max distance. I tried wrapping the front brake lever with a strap for 3 - 4 straight days. It seemed to help with the first few pulls but the sponginess came right back. I have the GS911 tool and will try to learn to bleed the brake, replace the pads if needed, but I am not hopeful after reading these posts. Just FYI so maybe we can realize that spongy front brake lever is a widespread problem. Anyone knows the Technical Bulletin number of this issue? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to me 2018 GS Ralley. Only 500 miles on it when I purchased it a few months ago. Noticed the spongy long travel front brake immediately as I ride hard and prefer short travel force modulated front brakes. I have bled twice with BMW fluid including the zip tie overnight trick. Still no good. I have some technical experience in this area and could postulate as to the root cause. But I would be guessing. BMW knows what the problem is. They just don’t want to fix it because it costs money. have owned lots of BMWs. This is the worst brake feel of any of them. I have a 2007 R1200S. The brakes fantastic and the lever rock solid. I beloeve part of the problem is the. Nissin specs master cylinder with Brembo calipers and the ratio between the master cylinder and the calipers. I strongly suspect a properly sized Brembo master cylinder would help this problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just picked up a 2016 200GSA with what I considered spongy brakes, the lead mechanic came out and adjusted the lever from 2 to 4. That quick fix only lasted about 30 miles. After reading these posts and watching more than a few video's; I feel that these problems could have been fixed by either multiple ABS activations followed by the zip tie overnight bleed technique or by using A GS911 and activating the ABS through the computer. That being said there is always the potential for leaks in the line, worn out pads, stuck pucks or the wrong fluid. The dealership I bought the bike through doesn't have the best reputation, so I'll be doing my own 24,000 service and probably some additional items that I want to do before a long summer trip.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just picked up a 2016 200GSA with what I considered spongy brakes, the lead mechanic came out and adjusted the lever from 2 to 4. That quick fix only lasted about 30 miles. After reading these posts and watching more than a few video's; I feel that these problems could have been fixed by either multiple ABS activations followed by the zip tie overnight bleed technique or by using A GS911 and activating the ABS through the computer. That being said there is always the potential for leaks in the line, worn out pads, stuck pucks or the wrong fluid. The dealership I bought the bike through doesn't have the best reputation, so I'll be doing my own 24,000 service and probably some additional items that I want to do before a long summer trip.
At this point I think it is something in the master cylinder as I have done all you stated and you can get it firm but the spongy feel always comes back. I have adjusted my brake lever out a notch and I am use to it now. My 2021 RT is really tight/firm right now so it will be interesting to see if it stays that way. Waiting to see what you find out.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts