R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had some issues with battery discharging on my GSA. It's nearly 3 years old , 5200 miles. No mods.

I have a BMW Motorrad battery charger.

Last week I fitted a new OE battery made by Yuasa.

But the new battery shows 80% charge after one trip out when connected up to the charger after one ride out. It is back up to 14.1/14.3v when the engine is stated. I also have an RnineT Pure and the battery on that maintains 90%+ without a run out in weeks or help from the charger.

Leads me to think there is a problem with battery having too much load.

Any views, or is this typical on the GSA? I could just have a defective new battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Best way to determine is to use a digital multimeter (don't use an analog meter, they are not precise enough for this low current measurement) with current measuring mode to see what the load is. When the bike is off, there should not be more than about 50 milliamps (0.050 amps) of load from the alarm and other system components total. Ideal is under 10 milliamp.
Remember that you need to wait a few minutes for all the hotel loads (GPS, other computer and control units) to shut off after turning off the bike. If the DMM has a PC logging feature that is even better as you can watch the timing as things shutdown.
Cheers and good luck.

p.s. 3-years and only 5.3k? You need to ride more ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts