R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been shopping (Àltrider, TT, Black Dog) and then I saw the Ricochet skid plate and it looks a lot like the TT Rallye version. The key difference is that the Ricochet is less than 1/2 the cost of the other options, although as Altrider will point out, theirs attaches to the frame and not the engine as do all the others.

Has anyone seen the Ricochet in person? Thoughts? How is the rearward coverage? What about those 4 button head screws?

Any other comments about skid plates to help guide my selection?

TIA,
Bradley

·
Registered
943 Posts
So I have been shopping (Àltrider, TT, Black Dog) and then I saw the Ricochet skid plate and it looks a lot like the TT Rallye version. The key difference is that the Ricochet is less than 1/2 the cost of the other options, although as Altrider will point out, theirs attaches to the frame and not the engine as do all the others.

Has anyone seen the Ricochet in person? Thoughts? How is the rearward coverage? What about those 4 button head screws?

Any other comments about skid plates to help guide my selection?

TIA,
Bradley
Scurvy I have the wunderlich and it protects the headers too......Rock Solid

·
Registered
345 Posts
Stay away from TT or anything that attaches to the motor. My buddy punched a hole in his engine while we were riding in Baja. He had a TT plate on his brand new, never been dropped Rallye. JB Weld saved the day.

·
Super Moderator
877 Posts
I have the Altrider on my 1200GS and it's been tested many times with no problem. I have the Ricochet on my KLR 650. I rode that across 'merica on the Trans Am Trail and bashed the living crap out of it many times on rocky trails. It's got some dents in it but it did the job.

I also have the upper and lower crash bars and think Altrider's quality is second to none.

Reactions: mikec

·
War is the answer!
96 Posts
I have the Black dog cycle works skid plate on my 18.... Imo, it doesn't get any better than this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took skid plate off when I first changed oil. It is going to stay off, I only ride the super slab anyway peace

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stay away from TT or anything that attaches to the motor. My buddy punched a hole in his engine while we were riding in Baja. He had a TT plate on his brand new, never been dropped Rallye. JB Weld saved the day.
That would really suck, and then there’s that part when you get back to civilization where you have a motor with a hole in it, cha-ching! :frown2::surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
2017 Rallye - Best skid plate? Reply to Thread

I went with the Altrider mainly because it has an oil plug access hole. The Black Dog version requires you remove the skid plate when changing the oil.
Here's a suggestion for you that a BMW tech told me about. When changing oil with that AltRider skid plate, stick an old toilet paper roll in that access hole and remove the drain plug. The oil goes where it's supposed to go instead of on the skid plates surface.

Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looking at all the available skid plates for the LC GS. I’m seriously considering the Ricochet because I’ve used them on bikes (KLRs) in the past and they’re well made.

My question about Ricochet for those who’ve used it in this bike: Does it bolt to the motor or frame? That’s a huge consideration.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
View attachment 29124 Looking at all the available skid plates for the LC GS. I’m seriously considering the Ricochet because I’ve used them on bikes (KLRs) in the past and they’re well made.

My question about Ricochet for those who’ve used it in this bike: Does it bolt to the motor or frame? That’s a huge consideration.

Thanks in advance.
Their instruction aren't very clear but the four bolts seen in your photo would seem to indicate they're using the OEM mounting threaded holes on the engine. Also, on their website, the photo of the installed plate doesn't extend back very far:

You can see the plastic factory skid plate attached to the center stand in the above photo. That part is a piece of junk. Here's a friend center stand skid plate on a section of the MABDR:
1613687638908.png

We ripped it off and left it in a service station trash can in Covington, VA. Personally, I'd look for another plate that offers better coverage and doesn't use the engine bolt holes for attachment points.

Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, I agree that’s what it appears to be.

Was hoping someone who’s already installed this skid plate could respond.

I’m still researching...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Reactions: mikec

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Yeah, I agree that’s what it appears to be.

Was hoping someone who’s already installed this skid plate could respond.

I’m still researching...
Dan, I sent an inquiry to Ricochet about the rear mounting bolts using the OEM plates mounting points and it was confirmed. They do use the engine mounts to secure their skid plates.

Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dan, I sent an inquiry to Ricochet about the rear mounting bolts using the OEM plates mounting points and it was confirmed. They do us the engine mounts to secure their skid plates.

Mike
Thanks a mil, Mike.
I did the same and received no response.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dan, I sent an inquiry to Ricochet about the rear mounting bolts using the OEM plates mounting points and it was confirmed. They do use the engine mounts to secure their skid plates.

Mike
I posted that question on Revzilla—who carries this skidplate—and two responses state they use brackets to mount to the frame. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts