R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize there have been a couple posts on this topic, but I thought this new info warranted a new post. After experiencing this issue "spongy rear brake" on my 2018 R1200GSW I mentioned it to my nearby dealer in Denver and to my surprise they said they would replace the rear master cylinder under warranty just based on my description. When trying to apply the rear brake the pedal would travel more than 2" before any braking would occur and the braking power was very weak. Front brake was not affected. Once they replaced the part and bled brakes I was astonished how well they now worked. The mechanic said BMW had done some redesign on the master cylinder to remedy the air leak issue. I would encourage anyone with this issue to contact their dealer. I'm a little surprised this has not been a recall item as brakes are a pretty important safety item. This may apply to other year WC GS's.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had this issue on my 2014 R1200GS. My dealer replaced the master cylinder. Interestingly I recently had the same problem with my 2019 R1250GS but this time they just bled the brakes. Works fine at the moment but suspect if it happens again they will replace the master cylinder.

Remember the brakes are Brembo (fortunately the fronts are now Haynes). They're Italian. Like Fiat and Ducrapi..........

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you own or have access to a GS-911 diagnostic tool. Follow this well done video. It fixed my spongy rear brake on my 2017 GSA and took less than an hour to complete.

Total parts was about $70.00 and now I can do the bleed and flush easily if the rear brakes become spongy again.

https://www.amazon.com/GS-911-OBD-II-Enthusiast-Version-2017/dp/B0799CYBLL/ref=asc_df_B0799CYBLL/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312280085431&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6666081077047340087&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031638&hvtargid=pla-528892039806&psc=1

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had the same thing on my 2016 GSA - no rear brake at all. Dealer fixed it with a flush/bleed, it happened to coincide with the three-year service. It was WAY out of warranty, so I'm sure I rode out with the same master cylinder I arrived with. It's one of those things they won't just do as a goodwill item and not tell you about. Parts fiche from Bob's BMW shows it as $217 and change (plus labor, of course).

Unrelated, I just noticed that both places I check parts prices (Max BMW and Bob's BMW) haven't updated their parts fiches for quite a while - for the R1200 GSA there's nothing newer than MY 2014 - so no R1250 parts. Has the mothership decided to restrict current information to only professional parts-looker-uppers, i.e. the ones employed in authorized service facilities?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts