R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
BMW Padwan
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine had his 2019 1250 GSA in for service this past Friday and the tech noted there was a slight oil leak under the left side cylinder. So naturally he told me and our other bud who bought a 2019 GSA (mildly annoying all 3 of us riding the same bike, ha). I immediately went and checked with a paper towel and sure enough I have a slight oil leak as well. It's not enough to drip off, just enough to get the paper towel dirty. The right side has zero residue on the bottom. I first checked it at about 200 or so miles and residue was present under the left cylinder head and then again last night with about 650 miles...same result. Left has residue, Right was clean and dry. The 3rd guy with the same bike has no leakage.

In my buddies case, the tech said it was a rolled O ring causing the issue. Now with 2 bikes out of 3 with this same thing, I wonder if anyone else has noticed or heard about it?

Here are the 3 of us...

·
Registered
32 Posts
A buddy of mine had his 2019 1250 GSA in for service this past Friday and the tech noted there was a slight oil leak under the left side cylinder. So naturally he told me and our other bud who bought a 2019 GSA (mildly annoying all 3 of us riding the same bike, ha). I immediately went and checked with a paper towel and sure enough I have a slight oil leak as well. It's not enough to drip off, just enough to get the paper towel dirty. The right side has zero residue on the bottom. I first checked it at about 200 or so miles and residue was present under the left cylinder head and then again last night with about 650 miles...same result. Left has residue, Right was clean and dry. The 3rd guy with the same bike has no leakage.

In my buddies case, the tech said it was a rolled O ring causing the issue. Now with 2 bikes out of 3 with this same thing, I wonder if anyone else has noticed or heard about it?

Here are the 3 of us...

Gotta love that 1250 engine it's a awesome piece of kit!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
2019 R1250 GSA
101 Posts
Just had my 600 mile checkup. No oil seep for me. Mine is the Ice Grey. Could the model colors mean something?

·
BMW Padwan
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
First service got done today. The shop said the oil leak appears to be from the gasket around the cover. Good news...BMW has none of those available to order. :frown2:

·
BMW Padwan
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got on a creeper and looked under the bike and wiped everything down. I can't tell if the oil is coming from the valve cover gasket or whatever that is plugged into the cylinder head. Both had oil around them.

·
BMW Padwan
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m not 100% sure if the tech stated that or not TBH but me buddy didn’t mention it so I doubt it.

Update: It appears the oil is leaking from the plug, in the picture, which appears to be the camshaft position sesnsor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts