R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 R1250GS with 12000km on it. Ever since I bought it I get a pop sound when the cam shifts between 4-5000rpm. It is a slight pop when rolling on the throttle very slowly above 4000rpm, and is a much louder pop if snapping the throttle open above 4000rpm. It only happens when opening the throttle. Searching the internet there are some that say their bikes do this too and the rest say theirs don’t. My dealer had my bike for over a month and thought it wasn’t normal, but BMW technical gave a half assed response that “theres nothing wrong”. The popping is very annoying, especially when highway riding at 110-120kmh when one is constantly very slightly on and off the throttle to maintain the speed and I get a constant pop,pop,pop. If this is normal, I have a mint condition BMW for sale.
Does anyone else with a shiftcam have this problem???

·
Super Moderator
686 Posts
Different than the sound on this [lengthy] thread?

·
2019 R1250 GSA
161 Posts
I have 15K miles on my 2019 and mine "pops" as you describe. It does not annoy me as it is the shift cam doing it's thing and it's a very brief pop. My Remus muffler makes the "pop" sound even louder than the stock muffler even though I use ear plugs when riding. Every bike has a quirk to it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine does it too. I'm surprised yours does it with gentle throttle application, though. Or maybe your "gentle" is different from mine. I'd rather it didn't pop but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. Certainly not worth trading over, at least for me.

I'm getting slightly better mileage than my 2016 wethead GSA, and better performance too, so overall I'm happier. Plus the transmission and shift assist are vastly better than on the 2016, and hill start is night and day better than what I had on my 2015 RT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine does it in the first 3 gears but I never notice it after that. I asked the same question and was told it is normal. Doesn't bother me anymore. Just stop looking for it and enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2020 GS does it right at about 4200 RPM. It gave me some concern at first, but it’s apparently just the mechanical transition of the Shift Cam within the engine (see numerous YouTube vids on it). I’ve decided it’s a feature rather than a flaw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's not the shift cam. It's the exhaust flapper.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The flapper valve regulates exhaust frequency at low and moderate revs. Secondarily it slightly increases back pressure increasing torque in the same rev range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts