R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New GS owner here. Had my bike a week and enjoying it immensely. One thing is bugging me. There is a whirring noise coming from what seems to me from under the tank, the noise appears ahead of me, and I am having trouble comparing it to any other noise. Whirring, a hair dryer? Its actually quite loud and is driving me nuts. Apart from that, the bike would seem very quiet and ear drum friendly. Can anyone tell me is this usual? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a long running thread dedicated to 1250 GS "Strange Noises" . It is redundant and Looooooong. Please do not start another one. I beg of you. :eek::eek:
A link to the thread would have been more friendly to a new user and certainly more useful. I'm a bit long in the tooth for a telling off. But I apologise for bothering to ask a question, and if you let me know which subjects you allow on your forum it would be useful...

·
Registered
606 Posts
@Paul Thorpe here you go mate!

·
Super Awesom Person
526 Posts
I think it's from your front tire. What kind of riding do you plan to do? Perhaps we can help you find a quieter tire that fits your need Also you can start a thread on anything you want but you can probably find the answer you need quicker by doing a quick search first. Welcome to the forum

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
557 Posts
A link to the thread would have been more friendly to a new user and certainly more useful. I'm a bit long in the tooth for a telling off. But I apologise for bothering to ask a question, and if you let me know which subjects you allow on your forum it would be useful...
Wow. I was attempting to be helpful, but............

·
Registered
296 Posts
Some questions to help isolate further (if it isn't tires...):
  • Does the noise happen while at idle? At certain rpm?
  • Does it change at different speeds?
  • Does it change on asphalt vs concrete road surfaces?
  • What kind of tires are you running?
Older models used an ABS module with a motor, the others could tell if the newer bikes still had that design and if that may be a potential culprit.

If not tires and reproducable hopefully a dealer tech can isolate it as I'd assume you are under warranty with a 2019.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Paul Thorpe here you go mate!
Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
just bought an 2016 1200GS and i do have the same exact problem. Driving me crazy especially when my helmet is on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It’s tire noise amplified by the design of the front guard and frankly I suspect also by the plastic compounds used. I’ve spent a small fortune trying different tires and there is no easy answer. Dunlop Roadsmart’s are where I landed, tires that Rick often recommends. Over the last 12-months I ridden both KTM 1290’s, the Multistrada, the Tiger, HONDA’s new AT, and even the Triumph Rocket back-to-back with the 1250GS and with out question the road noise from the GS is the loudest. Mates who’ve traded rides for the day also noticed the noise. I encourage you to wear earplugs, if you’re not already, as the noise is truly damaging. Measured It a over 120 dB at the handlebars using a dB iPhone app, admittedly not the most scientific but none the less 10 dB on av higher than the 1290 SA S.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2019 GS and don't hear anything strange at speed other than a lot of tire noise. I have Annake III tires so will replace them with something different when they are worn out.

I do wear earplugs so a lot of noise is cut down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts