R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for a 50 mile Lunch ride Sunday, Pulled into a nice roadside picnic area on the river. Spent about 45 minutes then suited up ready to go down the road. Pushed the button on the wireless ignition and nothing Nada! No TFT display no lights I mean dead. Pulled battery checked 7.5 amp main fuse tests OK. Put the volt meter to it 12.8V. should be no problem.the red light blinks on the dash every once in awhile. put a new battery in the key, No change. This is the second time this machine is going to the shop. first was premature rear brake burn up, Installed all new brakes, rotor, caliper ect... found no faults. 5500 miles on the bike which I purchased for a trip to Alaska in June . I have owned an 09 and an 2018 with no issues. I have to say I'm losing confidence in this machine. Have to wait until Tuesday to have it brought to the dealer. Had a friend with a trailer take the bike home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are you sure that you are not flat out abusing it?

J/K... I feel your pain. I had a 2007 slant K BMW, almost lost total faith in the brand. I hope your issues get resolved fast and nothing else happens.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try to start her up with the spare plastic key under the rear fender.
Dont know if it will work, just a thought
Tried that no go. It's getting picked up by my dealer in about an hour. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar experience with my '15 GSA. Stopped for a flag man and would not restart. Totally dead. I dragged out the spare plastic key, stuck up up under the wheelwell and got power. Hasn't happened again in 50,000mi.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer contacted me today and say's the Keyless Ride control unit went bad. won't get it back til next week

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just happened to me on a trip a couple of weeks ago with no warning of any kind. Went out that morning and pushed the button and only got the red light in the upper right corner when it doesn't see a fob. Replaced battery in fob, tried emergency key, and checked/disconnected battery. Still nothing but blinking red light. Took it to Eurosport (Great BMW dealer!) in Asheville, NC where they did the same thing to include hooking up a new battery and no joy. They had not seen this before and ordered Keyless module (the unit with the push button on it) after talking to BMW. Keyless module alone is $750, so about $1100 later that was the problem. They ordered module on Tuesday and bike ready to go Thursday afternoon. Module has to have 2 screws drilled out to remove it and special tool to install new screws. Service manager said only 6 modules in the US available so not a frequent issue. I was just one of the unlucky ones, bought a lottery ticket since the odds were against me but that didn't work out. ;) Extended warranty approved $1020 so waiting on them to reimburse me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts