R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had this new bike for about a month sitting in the garage; all the MVC locations are shut down. I just noticed that brake fluid has been dripping slowly from the left caliper. Dealer has the bike now and tells me this is a common problem for this model, so much so that the factory is fully aware of it.

Has anyone else experienced this leak and what was the cure? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is a well known problem with the 2019 and 2020 bikes.
BMW switched from Brembo to Hayes calipers on the 1250 (the calipers are stamped "BMW" - but they are Hayes). Dealers will replace the seals under warranty, and if that doesn't work, replace the caliper.
It is not really a leak as much as a "weeping". The bike is rideable. Just keep your calipers clean, and if you are paranoid, keep an eye on the brake fluid level in the reservoir.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer said as much, but I wanted confirmation. Hopefully a quick fix. Thank you.

·
Super Awesom Person
527 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Many have upgraded to the Brembos.......ask your dealer if he can. There is a thread on advrider also
Dealer will install Brembo’s.............if I pay for it. The good news is that the bike should be delivered today with an upgraded rebuild kit installed. They are “95% sure” the problem is solved. Next step, if needed, is a replacement caliper. TBC

Bike was delivered today. I think I'll let it sit a couple of days to see if anything developes. So far so good. I'm hopeful.

·
Registered
86 Posts
No leaks, drips, or weeping. Weather is better today so may go for first ride.
The videos I have seen on this, if the rebuild kit is done properly the problem is solved. My 2019 came with the BMW branded front brakes and no issues. Not sure what happened with the 2020's to have this issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rode about 70 miles today. No issues. Getting used to the bike, the menu, etc. Appreciate all the feedback.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts