R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R1250GS Triple Black
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Wondering if any of you have encountered this discoloration on the head cover (see black spot on the picture).

If so, were you able to determine cause/fix? Anything to be concerned about?

One source told me this can happen with Titanium exhaust (not sure how that's possible), but regardless would love some feedback if you have run into this before.

Greatly appreciate the help.

Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Tire
Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Near as I can tell it appears to be heat related. No exhaust leak that I could find. The black mark isn't carbon it's actually the grey paint finish worn off (or super heated).

I was kind of hoping for a bunch of, 'yea, happens all the time don't worry about it' replies!

·
Registered
201 Posts
It looks like heat to me. Titanium radiating the extreme heat where headpipe attaches. Airflow sends that heat back and up. Has the bike idled for an extended period on the sidestand? Do you see the pipe glowing red at night? Warranty issue, unless you added the pipes, they could argue that point. Good luck with a resolution.

·
Registered
2017 R1200GSA
102 Posts
This is definitely a heat issue from the exhaust, either leaking or too hot. Take a close look at the pictures above. Not only the cylinder head cover got discolored, the whole area got affected: the skid plate and maybe even the crash guard. Check the other side too.

On the older 1200 models like mine (2017), the exhaust header pipes are longer. They exit out of the cylinders, curve to the front (and cool off) before going back under the engine. On the newer 1250 models, like yours, the exhaust header pipes are shorter, coming straight down and then go right under the engine to the back. BMW changed that to keep the exhaust gas at a higher temperature when entering the catalytic converter to comply with stricter emission regulations.

Your discoloration issue is a symptom. You need to find out the cause. Does this issue happen on both sides? Your whole exhaust route got restricted somewhere? Has the engine been running without moving the bike often? Check with your dealer while your warranty is still in effect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is definitely a heat issue from the exhaust, either leaking or too hot. Take a close look at the pictures above. Not only the cylinder head cover got discolored, the whole area got affected: the skid plate and maybe even the crash guard. Check the other side too.

On the older 1200 models like mine (2017), the exhaust header pipes are longer. They exit out of the cylinders, curve to the front (and cool off) before going back under the engine. On the newer 1250 models, like yours, the exhaust header pipes are shorter, coming straight down and then go right under the engine to the back. BMW changed that to keep the exhaust gas at a higher temperature when entering the catalytic converter to comply with stricter emission regulations.

Your discoloration issue is a symptom. You need to find out the cause. Does this issue happen on both sides? Your whole exhaust route got restricted somewhere? Has the engine been running without moving the bike often? Check with your dealer while your warranty is still in effect.
Hi Phillip/Toter,

I agree, definitely heat. It has only happened to the right side, I'll have to climb under with a flashlight to look more closely. It has not sat for a pro-longed period at idle. I did ride it pretty aggressively the day that this occurred. The shop did say this can happen with Titanium pipes and that it appears to be external heat (ala the ti pipe) so not the cylinder head/piston etc., which was my chief concern.

I guess monitor at this point, and hopefully if it's a non-issue purchase some different covers. I had to chuckle when the shop said (paraphrasing) 'Don't worry if something goes wrong you'll know...' :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts