R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,183 Posts
For the rear - Achilles ATR-K Economist in 175/55-17. Under $60 a tire and has a 35,000 mile tread wear warranty.

·
Administrator
1,980 Posts
A more recent thread on 90/10s:

And older one mentioning mileage:

·
Super Awesom Person
1,002 Posts
The longest lasting tire is the one with the hardest rubber. The Dunlop Mission tire is the one I chose to take me to Alaska this year and I think it will last over 10k. However one guy says it's bad in the cold rain so I need to be careful. Here is a nice review to help you make the correct tire choice for your type of riding.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,604 Posts
For your riding descrioption, the Dunlop Trailmax Missions are your tire. I have 8k on mine and they look hardly worn.
If you want a tire that gets lots of miles, great on pavement, good on most off road conditions, the Trailmax is your tire.
If you want to do some serious off road riding get some Mitas E-07+'s or Bridgestone Battlax Adventurecross AX41's.

·
Administrator
1,980 Posts
Most of my riding in on paved roads. What is the best tire to get that will last the longest?
What will be your type of riding off paved roads? I grew quite weary of 3000 mile knobby rear tire life. If it is smooth and dry forest roads or gravel a 90/10 or 80/20 style tire will do and offer great pavement manners.

Stepping up in off pavement capability the Shinko 705 and Dunlop Trailmax Mission won't handle mud well but can improve the off pavement manners.

·
Registered
2022 1250 GS Adventure
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What will be your type of riding off paved roads? I grew quite weary of 3000 mile knobby rear tire life. If it is smooth and dry forest roads or gravel a 90/10 or 80/20 style tire will do and offer great pavement manners.

Stepping up in off pavement capability the Shinko 705 and Dunlop Trailmax Mission won't handle mud well but can improve the off pavement manners.
90% paved rosds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2022 1250 GS Adventure. Most of my riding in on paved roads. What is the best tire to get that will last the longest?
I ride a 2014 GS and have experienced great mileage with Conti TrailAttack II (discontinued) and III's (in total 4 sets). I have seen mileage over 21,000 miles in California and over 17,000 miles in Phoenix heat. The tires are a Zero degree radial with good warm up (25 degrees at the Grand Canyon in early April), excellent road characteristics when crossing pavement joints at ANY angle and excellent wet grip. Currently have over 101,000 miles on my GS.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
549 Posts
great tire you will love them
I used Michelin Pilot Road on my previous bikes since 2012 and I can't remember where it started but I guess it was with Michelin Pilot Road 3. Since that tire, I felt very safe especially in the rain, so as soon as my bike would ware its OEM tire, I would go for Michelin Pilot Road. So I tested version 3, 4 and 5. Now it's time to try version 6. I'm waiting for my Anakee's (that came with the bike) to ware a bit more and I'll change to Road 6. I am happy with my Anakee's, I like the grip but have not tested them in the rain (it almost never rains here in south of Portugal). However, they are very noisy for my liking and I hope Road 6 will be better.

·
Registered
2020 R1250GS TE
4 Posts
Just fitted Road 6 on my R1250GS TE, very impressed with them after around 200 miles Most significant difference from the OEM tyres is the reduction of road noise. It’s still annoyingly present but nowhere near as loud.

The handling characteristics have changed a little, the front feels lighter and it turns in quicker. This is my first BMW and I found its handling weird (well different) to my previous bikes initially. The Road 6 have made it feel more familiar.

I never go off the tarmac these days but often ride single track lanes with lots of debris, the Road 6 have no problems. Of course, the bike’s traction control, etc. deals with this type of surface anyway.

On wet roads they feel safe. I can’t comment on ‘progressive’ riding in the rain - I go into ‘driving Miss Daisy’ mode, I’m too old and have too many metal parts in my body for that!

I like the Road 6 a lot. I hope their longevity is as advertised. I bought them and had them fitted by Two Tyres in London (SE10 0PX) and will go back to them next time.

As always, be very cautious on any new tyres for the first 50-100 miles or you may find yourself seeing me or my colleagues in green (in the UK).

Take care and be safe.

·
Registered
BMW R1200 GS TE
5 Posts
I just bought Michelin Road 6 but haven't installed them yet. Road riding only.
I have just had a new pair of Road 6s fitted to my 2016 R1200 GS by BMW Motorad and there is a distinct pull to the left now. Has anyone else had similar problem??

Previously I had Road 5 and Conti Trail Attack 3 and no pulling to the side. They all rode straight as an arrow when I take my hands off the bars so its not the bike. Now its a problem.

Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts