R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
War is the answer!
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... So I know how to do the oil change and have decided to go with the K&N oil and filter and Rotella T6 oil. Any videos on how to check valve clearance? What tools do I need? What else do I need to do? I love doing my own service and maintenance on my bike but I don't want to have to worry about my warranty either but my dealer in Daytona wants like $290 every service and that is just too cray cray. My Harley wasn't even that bad.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Survivor
682 Posts
The valve check is done at 12,000 mile intervals. No need to check it at 6,000 miles.

Go to Jim Bade's website. Maintenance schedules are available there, buy his maintenance video, The cost is very reasonable and the knowledge you will gain is great. You should also get the BMW maintenance DVD and a Haynes manual for your bike. With all these resources you can access the information needed to maintain your bike and not rely on some guy on the internet.

These videos on You Tube are also getting good reviews:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Personally, I think you are wise to stick with BMW or Mahle filters (Mahle makes the BMW filters and are available on Amazon or Beemer Boneyard). K&N products are a scam in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
The valve sheck is done at 12,000 mile intervals. No need to check it at 6,000 miles.

Go to Jim Bade's website. Maintenance schedules are available there, buy his maintenance video, The cost is very reasonable and the knowledge you will gain is great. You should also get the BMW maintenance DVD and a Haynes manual for your bike. With all these resources you can access the information needed to maintain your bike and not rely on some guy on the internet.

Personally, I think you are wise to stick with BMW or Mahle filters (Mahle makes the BMW filters and are available on Amazon or Beemer Boneyard). K&N products are a scam in my opinion.
Great advice! JVB Productions

Mike

·
War is the answer!
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. That helps a lot.

·
Registered
190 Posts
MAX BMW Motorsport - R1200 Oil Change

This video covers a '12 GS oil change and references 8mm allen to uncork the oil plug where recent bikes use a 10 mm, but the video is very useful.

You might be able to talk your parts department into a 15% discount on the RSD thats Ptero recommends. It is useful for farkle installs and the brake bleed as is JVBaden.

Dealers are running specials on 4q oil and BMW filter that include a new ring. Not the cheapest, but arrives quickly.

https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/product/10-off-complete-oil-change-kit-for-water-cooled-r-bikes

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok.... So I know how to do the oil change and have decided to go with the K&N oil and filter and Rotella T6 oil. Any videos on how to check valve clearance? What tools do I need? What else do I need to do? I love doing my own service and maintenance on my bike but I don't want to have to worry about my warranty either but my dealer in Daytona wants like $290 every service and that is just too cray cray. My Harley wasn't even that bad.

Is this the Rotella T6 folks use in their GSs?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N28VZ2Z

I have a 2017.5 Rallye.

·
War is the answer!
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
This link will put you in touch with videos, tool list and MUCH more. Its well worth the price and supports a member of this forum. If you live on the east coast, his tech days are great and a fun time.

JVB Productions

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't forget that you need to buy a scanning tool to be able to clear the Service Interval Warning Light on your bike, as well as perform other needed services in the future.

I chose to go with the Obdlink LX and Moto Scan App combo, since it was a much cheaper option over the GS911 Wifi Tool. It was about a $100 investment for the tool and app. Paid it self off on the first oil change.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Will the MX version of the obdlink work? Looks like it compatible with iPhones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts