R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my ride this Summer from Albuquerque to Memphis I noticed that after 400 miles or so..my right thumb, index and middle fingers would painfully locked up. I assume it might have something to do with my constant adjusting of my throttle (I use a throttle lock) to keep my speed steady for those behind me. Anyway, I'd lower my arm, and instead of slowing down and pulling off (which I should have done) I'd stretch/massage against my leg till I could move them again...about 20-30 seconds. This happened a couple of times on that 2 week long trip....ever happen to you? If I had a new fly-by-wire 2014 1200GS, this probably wouldn't be a problem, or maybe a thorough forearm massage before the ride...thoughts?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Are your brake and clutch levers low enough? I turned both of mine forward so all I had to do is open my hand and my fingers would be over the levers. I tend to cover both the brake and clutch with two fingers. Working the throttle is more a matter of rolling the grip around inside my loose hand rather than twisting my wrist.

I padded up the small grips for a while, but have removed the padding. Comfortable, well fitting (large enough) gloves might help as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On my previous bike I got rid of the comfort grips and used gummy hi-grip dirt bike grips.

This allows me hold a very loose, relaxed grip and still feel like I have good controls of the bars. Solved my constantly numb hands issue completely.

Not sure if I can do that with the hand warmers on my GS. One of the things to ask my dealer this week. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts