R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thoroughly enjoyed this video.

This quote: “They didn’t get it...they didn’t understand that by compromising a little bit in the dirt and a little bit on the pavement they were gaining so much in terms of versatility in one bike that can do so much.”

And: “People complain about the cost of the bike, the weight of the bike...but that’s pretty much where the list ends.”

Awesome.

Awesome GS video

·
Super Moderator
873 Posts
Have to give it to BMW for creating the GS and taking some risk. All motorcycles are a tradeoff and the GS does a fantastic job of balancing the capabilities. ADV segment shows no slowing down. BMW needs to get moving on the 850 and 750 segments.

I still don't get the GS Trophy stuff, for me it's the wrong tool for that job but then again...they race semi trucks in Dakar too...

·
Super Moderator
883 Posts
I'm a fan of Zack and Ari anyway but I also really enjoyed that video. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Krons

·
Registered
13 Posts
Surprised to see Ari Henning off his track ready KTM RC390...but glad to see he chooses the GS when he feels like an adventure!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great video, fun to watch as these guys are easy to watch and listen to. They always seem to have great content and camera presence.

I was talking with a highly respected moto-friend a couple years ago and he made the blunt statement that the GS was the best motorcycle ever built. I had to stop and think about that for awhile and ended up agreeing based on my limited (maybe 200k mile) experience and his actual experience of owning and riding just about everything in his lifetime. I believe he's a 1Million mile club member but don't quote me on that.

No one really argues about it's prowess on tarmac. It is an iron butt master, and usually eats sport bikes for lunch in the corners. It's my pick for off road ADV travel as well due to it's maneuverability and ease of picking up compared to the 'flat bikes' ( including the middle weights). Maintenance for a modern bike is about as easy as it gets. It's so much MORE capable both on and off road than most of us riders are. It's pretty amazing what has evolved from 40 years of stick-to-it-ivness from the engineers.
As for the Starbucks ridicule, well go ahead and ridicule the rider if it makes you feel better about yourself. I've found it to be a pretty handy stop during an 800 mile day for a shot of caffeine and a couch with air-conditioning. You can keep your McDonalds. o_O

I do get the GS Trophy thing. Frankly, who needs another dirt bike race?! I think the Trophy showcases the spirit of GS in a really fun way. It also encourages owners to take that thing out and get it dirty. With a little training and practice it'll go places that most folks ride their 500's to.

The new Ducati V4 Multi is now nipping at GS's heels. I'm told it's a helluva road bike, and now has exceptional engine management for off road use too. But parts seem to break off when you drop it and I'm not convinced it can handle luggage like the GS does. I'll be watching to see where this goes as I still have a soft spot in my heart for that Italian roar!

The GS is an incredible machine and I'm committed to learning just how out of bounds it will take me!

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
394 Posts
I do get the GS Trophy thing. Frankly, who needs another dirt bike race?! I think the Trophy showcases the spirit of GS in a really fun way
Thanks Zubb, I could not have said it in better words.

I tried to qualify in one of the GS Challenges, it not a race, it's a occasion to get out of your comfort zone, make friends, have fun and discover that you GS is more than you think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts