R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Premium Member
2017 R1200GS
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped a nut somewhere in the front pit behind the speedo. Heard it rattle a couple times on its way down, but it never hit the ground. Searched, shook, bounced, leaned, and searched lots more, all to no avail. Lost to the nut gods.

Venting complete - I feel better already!

Thanks,
Nate

Administrator
Then when you pull out a magnet and realize BMW uses stainless hardware...
馃槩

Registered
I was on a trip in AR a few years back. A hotel we stayed at used metal keys rather than cards on the room door locks. They specifically noted we were not to leave the key in the room at checkout, but bring it to the lobby. While unloading my bike, I inadvertently dropped the key down the hole behind the dash. Clink, clink,鈥 nothing. I began looking for it and after several minutes I found it. Not that I could touch it but I could see it. I removed the tank cover and several other pieces and eventually I could just touch it but still couldn鈥檛 grab it. I took a piece of wire from my tool kit and fashioned a hook and was just able to retrieve it. Whew. Now to reassemble the bike. The next day when checking out I asked how much it would cost me if I鈥檇 lost the key. Answer; nothing!

Registered
It's gotten to the point where, when working on a bike with lots of small fastener and such, I just order ahead by the half-dozen or so. Then, when I inevitably drop a fastener, I don't even bother looking for it. I just grab a new one and carry on. Life's too short to spend it crawling around on your hands and knees!

Registered
Dropped a nut somewhere in the front pit behind the speedo. Heard it rattle a couple times on its way down, but it never hit the ground. Searched, shook, bounced, leaned, and searched lots more, all to no avail. Lost to the nut gods.

Venting complete - I feel better already!

Thanks,
Nate
I've had luck covering one side of the bike with a blanket and then using a leaf blower to blow the lost screw out.

Registered
Sounds familiar! What is even more aggravating is that if it does make it to the floor it goes into some other Black Hole. :(

Reactions: Krons and DucRider

Registered
What really sucks is when you put the pieces and parts back on the bike and you get to the last one and still have a screw or two left.... You know you have to start pulling shit apart again..馃お

Registered
I dropped a nut down a cylinder on my Norton years ago right after putting the head all back togethero_O

Registered
Back when I had installed a new camshaft in the small block chevy of my 1971 Chevelle SS. Last step was to reinstall the distributor down through the rear of the intake manifold. Was installing the bolt for the hold down backet prior to dropping in the distributor. Bolt slipped and swirled down in the hole, which goes to the oil pan, which required engine pull to remove. I looked down the hole and the bolt was standing head down on the oil pump shaft. I used a telescoping magnetic pickup to grab and lift the bolt out while laying on top of the engine. The gods smiled on me that day!

Registered
I recently removed all the side covers off my GS to give it a good clean up after a long ride in the dust and dirt, after putting back together I had one bolt left over. Couldn鈥檛 sleep so I pulled all the covers of again to find where I left the bold out but did not see where a bolt was missing, the funny thing is that after putting all the covers back on I did not have a bolt left over.

Registered
2017 White GSA
I recently removed all the side covers off my GS to give it a good clean up after a long ride in the dust and dirt, after putting back together I had one bolt left over. Couldn鈥檛 sleep so I pulled all the covers of again to find where I left the bold out but did not see where a bolt was missing, the funny thing is that after putting all the covers back on I did not have a bolt left over.
Epic tale!

Registered
2020 R1250GSA HP 719 Billet
I'm still vexed over the Torx driver I dropped off the socket wrench and down into the left side fairing / tank gap. As above: click, clank, silence. Not on the floor, not on the cylinder head, another sacrifice to the powers that be ... or perhaps teleported to the a.m. parallel universe. Now what to do about an important gap in my brand new Torx driver set ...?

Registered
Do you think this is the same phenomenon as the sock & dryer conundrum?:unsure:

Reactions: Krons
1 - 20 of 21 Posts