R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GS1200 was bought in 2005 and has done only 9,000 miles (1,000 miles a year). It is in showroom condition, has been regularly serviced and loved all its life.

A couple of weeks ago (after spending £200 on a service) the ABS light started flashing even after riding off. It transpires that the module needs replacing at a cost of £1,824.11. Shame on BMW who wouldn't even contribute towards the repair :mad:

They wouldn't even knock off the 11p

Next year I will be going for a Ducati Hypermotard

Bye Bye BMW

·
Not that senior.
701 Posts
use it or lose it

Why own a bike at all if you are going to do 1000 miles a year?

They are made to be riden, i have had an 05 and 04, and put heaps of kilometers on them, without 1 single issue, it seems these bikes are made to be riden, they are work horses not show ponnies.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did you have the brakes flush yearly per BMW guidelines? Brake fluid absorbs moisture and that is usually what kills the servo equipped bikes, or the electronics go. I don't know what the warranty is for your country, but in the US the BMW warranty is 3 year or 36,000miles. Whichever comes first. So here your bike would be 5 years out of warranty. Personally, I wouldn't expect a company to honor a warranty that is that far past expiration.

There is a company here in the US that has figured out how to repair some of the common issues, but shipping from Europe would kill and cost savings.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I remember reading something about GS bikes (mnfg 2008) having ABS module problems.

There is a story about a bike in Brazil that had the ABS module gone dead after only 5000km and it was replaced under warranty. The second module did go dead too after a few months and BMW refused to repair it under the warranty and offered to replace it for a mere USD 3500.00

The owner did not agreed with this *small* fee and filed a lawsuit againts BMW Motorrad in Brazil. If I am not wrong they had to fix it again free of charge.

I guess there *might be* some isues with earlier versions of these electronics. Not a common problem I hope.

The link bellow tells all the story. Maybe Mr. Google can help the translation. Reclame Aqui > BMW - BMW K1200S - PROBLEMA MUITO GRAVE NO SISTEMA DE FREIO ABS !!!

·
2008 GSA
21 Posts
My GS1200 was bought in 2005 and has done only 9,000 miles (1,000 miles a year). It is in showroom condition, has been regularly serviced and loved all its life.

A couple of weeks ago (after spending £200 on a service) the ABS light started flashing even after riding off. It transpires that the module needs replacing at a cost of £1,824.11. Shame on BMW who wouldn't even contribute towards the repair :mad:

They wouldn't even knock off the 11p

Next year I will be going for a Ducati Hypermotard

Bye Bye BMW
First, many times little use or long periods of non use are as bad on any mechanical devise as a lot of use.

I don't think it is within the realm of realism to expect BMW or any motorcycle company to make a warranty repair after 8 years.

If you are looking for dependability and trouble free riding you might want to consider something other than the Ducati.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts