R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok
The ABS motor on my 2007 R1200GS is having problems again. Third time. I know what it is :) The brushes lose contact with the commutator. (either through dirt or sticking)
Yes I have dismantled it twice before, cleaned it, and put it back together.
Works fine for a few months then does it again. Replacement from BMW is crazy price - and no-one in Australia reconditions them - so I will be doing it again.
But - I have a ride next weekend and cant get it done before then

Question:''
When the ABS motor stops working - what happens - is it just that the anti-skid ABS tech doesn't work any more (which is basically like riding a bike that doesn't have it).
Can someone confirm that the LINK between front and back brakes still works (ie when you use the front brake level both front and back are applied proportionally) ?

Just want to know what I'm up for on this ride next week

And BTW the design of this ABS motor is the biggest PoS I have seen in a while - non replaceable brushes - on a bike this price!
Ta

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
653 Posts
When I had a problem way back when on my '05, the symptom was no power assist on rear brake when applied independently. Still stopped fine as I use front and rear braking ( foot controlled). I do not believe it is total death condition but that depends on your tolerance. I offer no guarantee. My problem was an empty rear brake reservoir. Took plenty of driving/ braking use to eliminate air in lines. Not same as your problem, but I just thought I would relay that I was told by the dealer service this condition left me with 30 % rear brake capability. Have had 100 % ever since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For anyone else who cares.
When the ABS is off the linking is OFF as well.
Checked it out by running the bike on the centre stand and applying front brake.
If ABS is off rear wheel keeps spinning.
ABS on rear wheeel stops.
So if ABS is off you are on totally old-school manual brakes using lever and pedal independently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts