R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2007 GSA with the ABS not working, trying to decide whether to fix or simply keep riding as brakes are performing fine (without ABS of course).

My front wheel ABS sensor is beyond spec for gap to tone wheel, and my Haynes manual indicates there is not adjustment. Does this require shimming to get right?

I anticipate I'll end up having to pull the tank and send the main ABS unit for a rebuild to get it right...thought I'd start with sensors. Still need to by a diagnostic tool too...to understand where it is not right.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
622 Posts
Front / rear / or both? If you engage front brake alone do you hear the normal whine from ABS? Same test for rear. Do you see the rapid "brake warning" light or the standard slower pulse?

·
Super Moderator
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front / rear / or both? If you engage front brake alone do you hear the normal whine from ABS? Same test for rear. Do you see the rapid "brake warning" light or the standard slower pulse?
Apologies for not replying sooner. When I start the bike I get a solid 'brake failure' warning. No ABS whine or pulse from front or rear.

Just wondering if I rebuild the ABS unit if I'll still need to shim the front ABS tone wheel.

·
Super Moderator
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Adding a comment to bump to the top...

Anyone know what failure a constant "brake failure" light on a 2007 GSA points to? Bad ABS controller? Need to plug it in to diagnostic tool to find out more?

·
Super Moderator
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Decided to spring for a black friday GS-911 to get to the bottom if it.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
622 Posts

·
Super Moderator
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know about these people. I thought I would need them 4 years ago, but didn't. Spoke with them at the time and they were quite helpful. At that time they were still in the test era for our bikes. Since then they have gone into full rebuild mode. Not expensive either. $250.00 They are based in Idaho.

https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/wp-content/plugins/WooCommerce-car-filter/include/product_filter.php?make=87&model=1092&syear=7352
They have great ratings on eBay:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/271180620234

Paying there would give some protection (ability to put a review) in case of a bad experience.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Adding a comment to bump to the top...

Anyone know what failure a constant "brake failure" light on a 2007 GSA points to? Bad ABS controller? Need to plug it in to diagnostic tool to find out more?
One of possible reason for this might be broken rear light switch in hand brake lever. This is easiest for check.

·
Super Moderator
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just went to the garage to verify my brake lever and pedal are activating the brake light...both seem to work well and tick the light on and off crisply. Would that check verify they are ok?

Will be good to plug in the GS-911 to get to the bottom of it.

·
Super Moderator
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of possible reason for this might be broken rear light switch in hand brake lever. This is easiest for check.

There is also a position switch on rear brake lever that can create problems.
Any easy visual checks for the position switch? Unfortunately my Haynes manual is really light on ABS diagnostics. Heavy on "go to dealer"... ?

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
622 Posts
Any easy visual checks for the position switch? Unfortunately my Haynes manual is really light on ABS diagnostics. Heavy on "go to dealer"... ?
Dealers love ABS "problems". I had an ABS "problem" when I bought mine used 4 years ago. They quoted me $3100 for a replacement as the only solution. Turned out I bled the system and that was an air bubble problem. Flawless ever since.

·
Super Moderator
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was hoping a brake fluid change would fix mine too...while the brake feel is much, much better still have solid 'brake failure' light on dash.

My local dealer had looked at my bike when previous owner had it in and told me it needed a new ABS module (from what the dealer recalled). GS-911 is on its way to see if that is really the case as I dont trust the dealers diagnosis.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
622 Posts
If you don't hear an audible click, it is out of adjustment or shot. It acts as the first step of a reset.

http://repairbooks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/BMW-R1200GS-Brake-Failure-Warning-Light.jpg

and
a youtube video explaining this problem and cure.

https://youtu.be/Xtjj2wNUa9U

If you decide to remove your ABS unit there is this video

https://youtu.be/zFNkluQ_cbM

·
Super Moderator
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies, I will need those videos unfortunately.

GS-911 arrived today and after a fast setup and registration scanned and cleared codes. These two would not clear:
2 fault codes found:
24048 - Pump motor defective
The fault is currently present.
24049 - Power Supply to Pump motor faulty

Already had planned on pulling the ABS as a winter project to send to the guys in Idaho...but the next two days more importantly I will ride!

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you up to pulling the ABS unit out you might want to try fixing the unit it self, not hard by any means, I have an 2008 RT and I also have a GS911that showed the same codes you have. There are step by step instructions out there on how to fix the issue which is stuck brushes. It was more of an pita pulling and replacing the unit then it was fixing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Krons,

This video discribses the problem of your ABS
24048 - Pump motor defective
24049 - Power Supply to Pump motor faulty

·
Super Moderator
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you up to pulling the ABS unit out you might want to try fixing the unit it self, not hard by any means, I have an 2008 RT and I also have a GS911that showed the same codes you have. There are step by step instructions out there on how to fix the issue which is stuck brushes. It was more of an pita pulling and replacing the unit then it was fixing.
Given the bikes age I think I'd rather spend the $250 to have Modulemasters go through it and have warranty from them should anything go wrong. I know I could probably do it myself but no use risking my salvation on a proliferation of curse words after reassembly and finding it is still messed up.

·
Super Moderator
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just noticed I missed two codes:
CAN-bus timeout with ABS control unit
The fault is not present now.
CAN-bus timeout for vehicle speed signal (ABS)
The fault is not present now.

Can I ignore these since they aren't currently present?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts