R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 GS developed a problem at the Great Falls MOA. It has a side car on it as well. It ran great going up there but when I left it would barely accelerate. It would eventually run at 80 MPH on the interstate, but if I twisted the throttle a little bit too much it would just fall on it's nose.
I thought bad gas, but several new fuel ups didn't change it. I cracked the fuel tank cap to make sure I didn't have a vacuum in the tank. I really haven't tried much since then.
I was hoping for some insight from the wizards on here before I attack it.
Thanks

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,183 Posts
FWIW testing the fuel pressure is where I'd start to see the health of the fuel pump. If it not putting out the right pressure you have found at least art of the problem. If you are getting the right pressure but not the right flow then Id move to.....

The secondary fuel filter under the fuel pump outlet quick disconnect. While this is not exactly the process I'd use it give you an eye-deer.

• Helpful
Reactions: JR543

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW testing the fuel pressure is where I'd start to see the health of the fuel pump. If it not putting out the right pressure you have found at least art of the problem. If you are getting the right pressure but not the right flow then Id move to.....

The secondary fuel filter under the fuel pump outlet quick disconnect. While this is not exactly the process I'd use it give you an eye-deer.

Except for the exhaust suggestion everyone seems to be in on the fuel system. I'll check the exhaust but think it is ok.
This bike is GSA, but I have another which is not an adventure. It has another issue for further fun, so I think I will swap complete tanks which should give me some answer. Can't do it right away but will as soon as possible. Don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. I think the tanks will interchange.
Thanks for all the help. Ydnar

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,183 Posts
Although it's not hard swapping the tanks a simple fuel pressure test will tell you more and save you time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Compression test? I know this won’t be a popular answer, but I’ve had several bikes with sidecars. Between the odd airflow and the extra load, the cylinder between the bike and the tub can overheat/rings can wear prematurely. I agree with the others that starting with the easy stuff is important . I’d just back up one more step or two…

·
Registered
297 Posts
Definitely sounds like a limitation in fuel supply. Had a clogged fuel filter in a fuel injected car once. If you are able to nurse the car to accelerate to modest speed mainly in high gears and at low rpm, and it “falls on its nose” when pushing harder, that’s a dead giveaway of a lack of available fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Compression test? I know this won’t be a popular answer, but I’ve had several bikes with sidecars. Between the odd airflow and the extra load, the cylinder between the bike and the tub can overheat/rings can wear prematurely. I agree with the others that starting with the easy stuff is important . I’d just back up one more step or two…
Sorry, I meant an air temp sensor. Usually hiding under the tank or somewhere where it measures incoming air. Mine was reading 161° (obviously faulty) which made the computer lean out the fuel mixture so much the bike starved. I was passing a semi @80mph when it went bad. It gave no error messages.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts