R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question, I bought the sevearl attachments for the accessory port (USB for phone and trickle charger conncetion) but my battery tender doesn't seem to work. Someone told me only the BMW charger works in this accossory port. Is that correct?

·
Registered
87 Posts
A quick question, I bought the sevearl attachments for the accessory port (USB for phone and trickle charger conncetion) but my battery tender doesn't seem to work. Someone told me only the BMW charger works in this accossory port. Is that correct?
My Optimate 4 works thru the port. Have to watch what you plug into that is my understanding. The wrong thing could fry the ECU is my understanding. But I am no expert.

·
Registered
275 Posts
A Battery Tender (Plus) will come with a fused pig tail that will attach to the battery terminals. A 15 amp fuse will allow you to run an air compressor or heated clothes as well as to top off your battery. Obviously, not all at the same time...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On all my other bikes I have attached the lead for the tender directly to the battery, but in this case I already have my Canbus attched to the battery and it's a little crowded. That's why I was hoping I could go through the accessory port.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On all my other bikes I have attached the lead for the tender directly to the battery, but in this case I already have my Canbus attched to the battery and it's a little crowded. That's why I was hoping I could go through the accessory port.
Did you try turning the bike on first, connecting the charger, then turning the bike off? That is the procedure for the BMW charger. From my understanding, that port is only active for 30seconds while the bike is off then it gets disabled unless it senses a charge.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Whatever you have attached to the battery is not "a canbus". Canbus is not a physical device, it's a communication protocol that lets the bike's computers (there are several) talk to one another. Like the English language is a communication protocol that lets people talk to one another.

You might want to revisit that battery connection and see what it really is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Be Carefull

I was informed not to use a standard battery tender, should use a BMW Charger or a Optimate 4 with Can-bus
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078868XZB/ref=psdc_15707061_t1_B001EBDXLM
Supposedly you can spike your electronics by connecting and disconnecting the charger. It actually tells you in the manual to remove the battery to charge with a Non can-bus charger. I would imagine especially the newer BMW with the TFT would be more sensitive. BMW and the Optimate will be at 0v when connected, then it wakes up the can-bus then it analysis, then sends a charge...should read about it, it is quite interesting.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was informed not to use a standard battery tender, should use a BMW Charger or a Optimate 4 with Can-bus
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078868XZB/ref=psdc_15707061_t1_B001EBDXLM
Supposedly you can spike your electronics by connecting and disconnecting the charger. It actually tells you in the manual to remove the battery to charge with a Non can-bus charger. I would imagine especially the newer BMW with the TFT would be more sensitive. BMW and the Optimate will be at 0v when connected, then it wakes up the can-bus then it analysis, then sends a charge...should read about it, it is quite interesting.
I will continue to take my chances like with the last several bikes including can-bus models. Imagine the business the bmw / can-bus model chargers would get if they said "you don't really need to use these but it would be really cool if you did".

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will continue to take my chances like with the last several bikes including can-bus models. Imagine the business the bmw / can-bus model chargers would get if they said "you don't really need to use these but it would be really cool if you did".
YMMV, but I've been using a cheap battery tender with pigtail directly to battery on my GSA for over a year now, with no apparent problems. Initially I was tempted to buy something more expensive that "advertised" canbus support, but after some research, I decided I didn't need to. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing it's because I'm connected directly to the battery, and not trying to go through existing wiring that might cause problems if not "communicated" properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the HEX EzCAN Accessory Manager connected to the battery. I hooked up a flashing LED brake light to my BMW Vario top case through the HEX EzCAN. Also a USB charger inside the top case. I have the Battery Tender Plus pigtail connected directly to the battery. I use the Battery Tender Plus no problem, and I bought an adapter that plugs into that pigtail, allowing me to plug in my old Gerbings jacket and gloves, also no problem. I am sure there is some way to use the handlebar area accessory but haven't found a good reason to...

I've used the Battery Tender Plus on the 2008 Goldwing for 11 years now, only needed one replacement battery after the first 5 years. I leave the Battery Tender Plus connected during the winter months here in Denver, no problem...

David

2014 R1200GS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts