R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new to me 2009 1200GS. Love it. The only thing I hate where the acc. socket is located, back in under the seat. Since it won't power my electric liner decided to add one direct to the battery bypassing the canbus. Only thing where to mount it. Nothing seems to work. Anyone else tackled this problem. I seen the video posted on utube for the Adventure but that won't work on the GS. Cord gets in the way of the bars. Any pics would be greatly appreciated as I am not that creative.

·
Reprobate
138 Posts
I have one up on the left side of the beak. Not sure what you mean by getting in the way of the bars; I've never had trouble with it. I had one mounted in the center of the handlebars that worked well, but on long trips my tank bag got in the way so I removed it. I still have it in a box out in the shop if you're interested. Cheap.

Pete

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi Gottago, look on the Powerlet website, they have pics of their products installed, and they have good products. Also, Touratech has a cockpit cover with either one or two outlets. I installed the cockpit cover on my 09 GSA and I love it. I installed the Powerlet BMW style plug on my Road King, using their special drill bit to make the hole in the panel, it looks factory. Enjoy your ride, and the farkeling that comes with it.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Connect a pigtail directly to the battery and let it dangle out by the saddle when in use. When not in use it will fold up behind the small black plastic panel.

p-20090204-1645-4947.jpg

When behind that panel it can not be seen. I actually have two cables back there. One is powered all the time and the other is switched on/off with the ignition. Both are connected using a Fuzeblock. http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/2009/0204-fuzebox/

·
Registered
164 Posts
hey Gottago,

I have the same dash mount as kennif, but I used the "Fuzeblock" that Marc mentioned, that way you can choose what you want to have connected direct or switched! And it makes it easier if you decided to add more accesseries later. Marc has his coming out by the front of the seat, it seem to be a good set up!

Art.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses. Ended up fabing a bracket and tucking it in a space near the plastic side cover. At least I can see it to plug in.
Put on some lower foot pegs to deal with the bad knee, got my gps wired, now am looking to get some bar backs that will work with my gps mounting bracket. Need to order some Jesses and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just disconnected the stock socket ( underseat ) from the Canbus and wired it directly to the battery with an inline fuse.

Maxbmw actually sells a plug n play harness that does the same thing. Simply unplug the Canbus harness and plug in the Maxbmw harness. However, it is easy enough to make one.

·
HairyDad/6 kids
102 Posts
@FredsGS, I think it depends if the the plug runs through the canbus or not. As i don't entirely understand that system, I just directly wired to the battery for the trickle charger and it works fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Decided to make a functional set of brackets/covers for my GSA.
Wanted to keep the use of the BMW socket - but also got fed-up with other accessories having normal 12v plugs and I did not want to constantly have to alter plugs.

I also wanted a functional and sturdy bulkhead mount for my Starcom system.... so here's my solution!

So the replacement panel accomodates the relocated BMW plug, a new 12V Cigarette socket and my Rider & Pillion Starcom plugs....

:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know if this answers your question but I use my BMW socket to plug in the BMW charger. I can also use the canbus socket to plug in the charger. Either one works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts