R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2011 R1200 Adventure

I had a little accident that took out my factory fog lights. I would like to replace those with some LED lights by Rigid and AKD. I’m assuming they won’t be plug n play. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for installation of aftermarket LEDs that won’t cause the computer any issues?

I believe I need to use Resistors, just not sure which wattage and ohms I would need. 50w 6 ohm??

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
653 Posts
Just wire them independent of bike system. That is what I did. Hard wire replacement lights into available power supply and use a toggle switch to control use. Bought my stuff from Superbright LEDs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wire them independent of bike system. That is what I did. Hard wire replacement lights into available power supply and use a toggle switch to control use. Bought my stuff from Superbright LEDs.

I think that will be the easiest and cheapest route, however I was trying to use the existing switch to keep everything as clean as possible

·
Registered
91 Posts
led lighting

Suggest you use a relay also, that way they can be wired to only receive juice when the ignition is on.

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
For the lights, the more the merrier! Try stacking multiple light bars on top of each other and make sure to use the yellow wire nuts from Home Depot to connect them all. Some speaker wire straight from the battery should give you the power you are looking for. I like those switches from Auto Zone with the red cover on them that look like they're from a fighter jet. Just drill a hole right in the gas tank side cover and mount it there. If you're local, come on by my shop. I'll be happy to help you put it all together!:smile2:

·
Registered
481 Posts
I recently added LED pods to my 07 GS and I went the inexpensive route because I cannot in good conscience spend multiple hundred of dollars on driving lights.

Amazon - 3" cubes for $32.00
Amazon - Switched wiring harness w/ relay - $12.00

It can be connected right to the battery but you have to remember to toggle the lights off when the bike is not running. Or you can power the wiring harness from the battery and then wire the relay to a keyed power source or better yet the low beam so they turn off when the key is off.

https://www.amazon.com/Driving-Lights-Motorcycle-Auxiliary-Boat-Squared/dp/B017SDXD4Q/ref=sr_1_55?keywords=motorcycle+LED+driving+lights&qid=1562680365&s=gateway&sr=8-55

https://www.amazon.com/Eyourlife-Harness-Universal-Fitment-Accessories/dp/B00R7IOOMS/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=LED+wiring+harness&qid=1562680270&s=gateway&sr=8-8

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my 2012, I bypassed the Canbus system by wiring a Centech fuseblock to the battery. I ran Denali lights, the gps and a Stebel airhorn through it. All are controlled with relays. You can substitute various Canbus bypass packages for the fuseblock. Or if all you want is the lights, you can use the Denali plug’n’ play harness wired directly to the battery. Whatever resistors/fuses/relays are required are included.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
653 Posts
On my 2012, I bypassed the Canbus system by wiring a Centech fuseblock to the battery. I ran Denali lights, the gps and a Stebel airhorn through it. All are controlled with relays. You can substitute various Canbus bypass packages for the fuseblock. Or if all you want is the lights, you can use the Denali plug’n’ play harness wired directly to the battery. Whatever resistors/fuses/relays are required are included.
I have the same Centechunit on my '05. Used this wiring harness from Superbrightleds.com

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/wire-harness-relay/led-light-wiring-harness-with-switch-and-relay-dual-channel-dt-connector/1491/

$19.95

1 - 9 of 9 Posts