R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I currently have a GPS cradle on my bike (that was retrofitted, my VIN doesn't show navigation preparation option), but not the multi controller wheel. I see it can be purchased individually :

https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/genuine-spare-parts/bmw-spare-parts?itemid=61317727498

Now, on the other side on that controller, and to no big surprise, I see connectors. This thing is going to have to be hooked up. Question is, will I need anything else? If I take the various parts off the handlebars, will I come across those connectors? Or will I need to buy the wiring too?

Is it a simple, plug and play job, or is this potentially going to be a nightmare? Anyone fiddled with this before?

Many thanks for your advice

Tony

·
Registered
493 Posts
hi,
i currently have a gps cradle on my bike (that was retrofitted, my vin doesn't show navigation preparation option), but not the multi controller wheel. I see it can be purchased individually :

https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/genuine-spare-parts/bmw-spare-parts?itemid=61317727498

now, on the other side on that controller, and to no big surprise, i see connectors. This thing is going to have to be hooked up. Question is, will i need anything else? If i take the various parts off the handlebars, will i come across those connectors? Or will i need to buy the wiring too?

Is it a simple, plug and play job, or is this potentially going to be a nightmare? Anyone fiddled with this before?

Many thanks for your advice

tony
if its showing up as an option then i think the dealer can do it

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no doubt the dealer can ; but how about myself ? And would I be missing anything ?
The reasoning behind is that I could maybe find a second hand one from a breakers yard...

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
To install the control wheel you will need the specific left grip BMW Part # 61317723713 along with the control wheel BMW part # 61317727498 and also 2 screws to attach the wheel to the grip BMW part # 07119907438.
The job itself is simple come back if you need any assistance with it the install.

This is on Ebay and one to consider, you can discard the switchgear. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R1200GS-R1200-GSW-13-15-Left-Headlight-Dash-Control-Switch-Grip-61318546275/302507628519?epid=1161858394&hash=item466edc17e7%3Ag%3AGksAAOSw-09Z96gm%3Asc%3AUSPSPriority%2184095%21US%21-1&_sacat=0&_nkw=61317727498&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0%7C0

It would be best to buy the assembly as the little screws are $6 each.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would wonder if there's any new programming the bike needs to recognize that the controller is on the CANBUS. If so, I'd probably want to make sure my dealer could do that for me after I installed the parts.

·
Registered
765 Posts
also, not all gps mounts are created equally. Make sure you have the one with the LINBUS connection otherwise the control wheel addition will be for naught.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm thanks for all of the advice.
I'd be tempted with the eBay one but I am European, that one is sent from Colorado. But good idea getting a damaged kit that can be salvaged.
Good point I'll check with bmw if programming needs to be done and whether they'll do it.
And good point about linbus... How can I check that ?
Thanks again
Tony

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's an extra set of contacts on the mount, IOW two contact areas
Hi, I tried to take a look briefly yesterday but there is a plastic cover hiding the contact areas. His may seem like a silly question but I've never done this before - how soon remove that cover ? Tried briefly yesterday but to no avail. Does the GPS support have to be "unlocked" ?

·
Bike&Ski
102 Posts
Hi, I tried to take a look briefly yesterday but there is a plastic cover hiding the contact areas. His may seem like a silly question but I've never done this before - how soon remove that cover ? Tried briefly yesterday but to no avail. Does the GPS support have to be "unlocked" ?
Turn the key, slide the lever in the back to the left and pull the cover off.

·
Registered
765 Posts
as the video shows, there are three things to do
1-turn key horizontal to unlock the locking mech; the key remains in place

2-pull the lever on the clutch side outward (from the mount) to its stop

3-push the lever on the right toward the clutch side to release the retaining tabs

While the mount is "naked" look at the mech to see how it works

In my case when the bike was new the locking mech required a bit of give and take to get it to engage/disengage; I have to fiddle a bit--much easier now at 38k miles

If your gps is in there and you are releasing it, be ready to catch it when you release the tabs with the brake side lever. It will possibly fall out

A LIN-BUS mount has two sets of contacts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. By two sets, you mean two rows? I think this is a LINBUS mount, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

If so, next step will be finding some second hand parts for the magic wheel but also the rest since it won't suffise on its own.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
The full monty

I am going for the full monty, as I already have a CAN-bus cradle, that will be replaced by the LIN-bus cradle in a couple of days.
I was lucky to find a salvaged left handle with botht he grip and magic wheel, and judging from both response here on forum and by disassembling the salvaged parts, it looks doable.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
There is no need to add any confusion to this operation, there is only one integrated GPS cradle for the LC GS's and it the one shown above.
Even Garmin's car kit cradle with no integration for the BMW Nav devices has 2 rows of contacts,
Even though the GPS cradle connects the bike via LINBus most refer to it as CANBus and is nothing to be concerned about.

The only thing that needs to happen for a retrofit is the GPS (Navigation System) cradle must be enabled, I presume that there will be no power to the cradle or bike/GPS integration until this is accomplished.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To install the control wheel you will need the specific left grip BMW Part # 61317723713 along with the control wheel BMW part # 61317727498 and also 2 screws to attach the wheel to the grip BMW part # 07119907438.
Not sure I fully get it actually. It seems a little more complex than I thought, I see 4 possible "left handles" :

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0A01&mospid=55470&btnr=32_2190&hg=32

First one is not heated.
Second is LINBUS, heated + GPS prep, up to 08/2014, which ticks the boxes
Third is the same, but from 08/2014, so that's a no go
But FOURTH seem to be heated + GPS, up to 08/2014, just without the "LINBUS"?

So which is it, 61317723713 or 61317727065?

I was going to shoot on a second hand one when I realised the number wasn't quite a match :)

Thank goodness there is only one multicontroller :grin2:

This is interesting. And the challenge is to get this done at a small cost of course. Many thanks for your help on the matter.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yep with the heated grips and it's a march 2014 production
Technically BMW part # 61317723713 is the exact match for your bike.
However, BMW part # 61318552117 can be used as an alternative just that the grip heat gets a bit hotter, I installed this grip on my 2013 along with the newer throttle grip BMW part # 61318552120 because my grips weren't getting hot enough for me, this solved that issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
On the same task!

Hey guys! I found myself on this task; I just got the retrofit navigation preparations for my 2016 k50 (which is basically the mounting bar and the GPS cradle) ! It has heated grips, but now I´m looking for the roll switch multi controller and I´m kind of lost about it.

I have found that the correct number part is 61317727498, am I ok with this one? Should I replace my left handle?

And the other thing is, should I need a different left lights, horn, controller? I have the one without cruise control btw!

And finally how is the routing of cables from the GPS cradle to the roll switch? or do I need another cable? Is it just plug and play!

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hey guys! I found myself on this task; I just got the retrofit navigation preparations for my 2016 k50 (which is basically the mounting bar and the GPS cradle) ! It has heated grips, but now I´m looking for the roll switch multi controller and I´m kind of lost about it.

I have found that the correct number part is 61317727498, am I ok with this one? Should I replace my left handle?

And the other thing is, should I need a different left lights, horn, controller? I have the one without cruise control btw!

And finally how is the routing of cables from the GPS cradle to the roll switch? or do I need another cable? Is it just plug and play!

Thank you!
You will only need the mutli-controller wheel your stock switchgear and grip assembly will work with it.
If you PM me your email address I will send you the installation instructions, it is difficult to do it right without them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts