R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted additional rear lighting above my stock tail/brake light. I had used a similar LED on my FJR and decided to add one to the GSA as well.

The LED I used is a $14.99 surface mount Emergency Vehicle light ( Link to Amazon ) It is connected through the EZCan. I drilled two holes in my top box, one 1/4" hole behind the light, the other a 3/8" hole at the right edge of the bottom mounting plate. I ran the lead from the back of the light through the Top Box, and out the bottom hole through a rubber grommet. No grommet was required behind the light due to the lead molded configuration. I ran the lead into the compartment behind the tail light accessed by removing two screws underneath the rear fender. I used a two lead waterproof connector there to facilitate removing the top box. I then ran the lead up into the under pillion area where the EXCan is located and used another waterproof connector supplied by EZCan.

As you can see this LED is much more visible than the stock light and it is controlled by the EZCan so it flashes when you slow or brake.

·
Survivor
681 Posts
I will need to take a close look at this set-up when you are over this way. I had one of those on my Super Tenere and it was a real attention getter.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
523 Posts
Looking for a similar setup for my '05, no EZCAN, that will not throw a code malfunction. Rather mount it on the bike , but could set up a quick disconnect to also use on the top box when running with the box. I purchased a pulsing light device but have not hooked it up yet. It would be sweet to work with this add on light.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you consider putting on the bike? Do you think it will fit an place?
I considered putting it on the bike but wanted it to be higher. As the Top Box stays on my bike 98% of the time I decided that was the best place for it.

Looking for a similar setup for my '05, no EZCAN, that will not throw a code malfunction. Rather mount it on the bike , but could set up a quick disconnect to also use on the top box when running with the box. I purchased a pulsing light device but have not hooked it up yet. It would be sweet to work with this add on light.
This light draws minimal current, could easily be wired into the tail light/stoplight.
As stated above, I wanted it high for additional visibility thus the Top Box Mount.

I'm not certain where you could mount it with any great deal of visibility if you didn't use the Top Box.

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my '06. Found an LED replacement light unit that's much brighter, but also about $90 and still just a single light in the stock location. I've been thinking about how the incandescent taillight on my bike works, and the way the controller will pulse-modulate the brake light if it senses the running light has burned out... I've found there are 1157-base LED bulbs on Amazon, etc., that claim to be brighter than standard incandescents but draw 1/3-1/3 the current... which leads to the idea of putting one in the standard taillight housing, and two or three more in auxiliary housings on the back of panniers, or maybe on pannier brackets (something to create a triangle rather than the single point of the stock light. Haven't gotten around to trying anything yet, though.

The other thing I've been thinking about is using a standard trailer lighting coupler like this one (currrently 25 bucks at Amazon) and a pair of dual-filament incandescent tail/stop lights on the panniers or on the sides of the license plate. This style of coupler gets its power from the vehicle's battery, so I figure it should have a low enough input impedance to not be noticed by the bike's lighting controller. Don't know if anyone's tried this, but it seems a lot cheaper than anything "purpose-built" for a GS...

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in the same boat with my '06. Found an LED replacement light unit that's much brighter, but also about $90 and still just a single light in the stock location. I've been thinking about how the incandescent taillight on my bike works, and the way the controller will pulse-modulate the brake light if it senses the running light has burned out... I've found there are 1157-base LED bulbs on Amazon, etc., that claim to be brighter than standard incandescents but draw 1/3-1/3 the current... which leads to the idea of putting one in the standard taillight housing, and two or three more in auxiliary housings on the back of panniers, or maybe on pannier brackets (something to create a triangle rather than the single point of the stock light. Haven't gotten around to trying anything yet, though.

The other thing I've been thinking about is using a standard trailer lighting coupler like this one (currrently 25 bucks at Amazon) and a pair of dual-filament incandescent tail/stop lights on the panniers or on the sides of the license plate. This style of coupler gets its power from the vehicle's battery, so I figure it should have a low enough input impedance to not be noticed by the bike's lighting controller. Don't know if anyone's tried this, but it seems a lot cheaper than anything "purpose-built" for a GS...

This unit only draws Four (4) Watts - very unlikely that 4 watts will even be noticed by a CANBUS system.
Could easily be wired directly into an existing brake light circuit

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
This unit only draws Four (4) Watts - very unlikely that 4 watts will even be noticed by a CANBUS system.
Could easily be wired directly into an existing brake light circuit
Ah.. didn't catch that. Well, looks like I have a project... once the temperature gets back up above zero!

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
523 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Can you please take a picture from inside your top box. I have the same concern and have been planning to mount a light on the top box. I have my top box mounted 24/7, only the side panniers come on/off depending on if its a road trip vs ride to work through traffic.

The light you listed has two mounting points, wouldn't you need to then drill two holes for the light and one at the bottom to feed the wiring through?

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you please take a picture from inside your top box. I have the same concern and have been planning to mount a light on the top box. I have my top box mounted 24/7, only the side panniers come on/off depending on if its a road trip vs ride to work through traffic.

The light you listed has two mounting points, wouldn't you need to then drill two holes for the light and one at the bottom to feed the wiring through?
I actually drilled four holes, two small holes for the mounting screws and two larger holes 1/4" in rear for the Wire to pass into the box, one 5/16" for the wire to pass out of the top box, I used a grommet on the exit wire, there was a built-in grommet where the wire exits behind the light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any tips on the the actual wire setup that you used? Amazon shows that it's a 5-wire light, with 14 different flashing patterns, so I'm curious what configuration you used. Thanks!

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Any tips on the the actual wire setup that you used? Amazon shows that it's a 5-wire light, with 14 different flashing patterns, so I'm curious what configuration you used. Thanks!
I used the configuration for a "Steady Light" for the LED (the Red and Gray wires are connected to the positive lead from the EZCan, the Black to the Black). The LED unit is then controlled by the EZCan and whatever you select as a program within the EZCan setup. Mine flashes when I brake and has an Emergency Stop Signal too.

I selected Flash on Braking and Emergency Stop Signal.

From the EZCan Website - Configuring the rear and brake lights
Brightness: The rear light brightness slider sets your accessory rear light's brightness between 0 - 100%. The brake light brightness slider sets your accessory brake light's brightness between 0 - 100%. If the accessory brake light is set to a type of flashing, this will determine the brightness of the flash.

Rear light vs brake light. The rear light is always on when the ignition is ON - but an accessory rear light can be turned off even when the ignition is ON. The bike's brake light is only activated on active braking - but an accessory brake light can be set to activate on other types of trigger too, like harsh deceleration. Be aware that an overly bright rear light setting can make a brake light less visible - an effect that can partly be countered by flashing. (See NOTE 1)

Five additional options for accessory brake lights:
No flashing: On braking the accessory brake light comes on at preset brightness and does not flash (mimics the bike's standard brake light)
Flash on braking: Accessory brake light flashes to preset brightness under any active braking
California 4Hz legal flashing: When braking, the accessory brake light flashes 4 times at 4Hz to the preset brightness and then remains on for the duration of active braking. So once the brakes are applied, the auxiliary brake light will flash 4 times within a second, then remain on until the brake is released. [See full legal requirement. 25251.5. (c)]
Emergency stop signal: Accessory brake light flashes whenever deceleration above 21km/h/s (kilometres per hour per second) is detected, either from active braking or engine braking. (See NOTE 2 for more information)
California legal with Emergency stop signal: The accessory brake light behaves as a combination of "California 4Hz legal flashing" as well as "Emergency stop signal". This means that under normal braking it will flash 4 times at 4 Hz and then remain on. In addition, it will also flash whenever the deceleration is larger than the preset harsh deceleration value. Please see options (3.) and (4.) above.
NOTE 1: The bike's brake light is always brighter than the rear light, but an accessory brake light can use the same LEDs for both rear and brake lights. It is important to remember that the brightness setting for the accessory rear light should be substantially less than the brightness setting of the accessory brake light to indicate braking

NOTE 2: Emergency braking will only activate above 50km/h. If you decelerate harshly (over the 21km/h/s threshold) and keep brake applied, the light will flash and continue to flash until the brake is released. If you tap-off (i.e. release the throttle, no brake applied), it will flash as long as the speed is over 50km/h and the deceleration is over the threshold. The two cases are:

Firstly, braking hard for an evasive manoeuvre, to warn traffic behind you to be aware that you have suddenly decelerated harshly - the accessory brake light keeps flashing as long as the brake is applied, and will continue to flash when the bike has stopped. The only way to stop if flashing is to release the brake.
Secondly, two riders riding along at high speed, and the rider in front taps off - a short burst of accessory brake light flashes will be seen while the deceleration is over 21km/h/s so that the rider behind knows to be cautious - even though the rider in front did not apply his brake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, what a thorough reply! Thank you very much. I’ve been considering my options between wiring my own relay/fuse box for accessories like this or going the EzCAN route, and this mod definitely shows why the EzCAN not only makes it easy, but it also makes sense.

Thanks!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I installed it day 1 and got the led from superbright LEDs, running through the HEX EZ Can
It makes the bike really visible since all my buddies complain!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used the configuration for a "Steady Light" for the LED (the Red and Gray wires are connected to the positive lead from the EZCan, the Black to the Black). The LED unit is then controlled by the EZCan and whatever you select as a program within the EZCan setup. Mine flashes when I brake and has an Emergency Stop Signal too.

I installed one of these and when I first turn on the ignition the light starts flashing. But as soon as I tap the brake it starts functioning as expected (California legal with emergency stop...).

Does yours do this? Maybe I was supposed to ”program” the light first? From what I read, just connecting the red and gray together with the power from the EZCan was all that was necessary.

Again, its fine after I tap the brake... but until then it flashes back and forth (left and right pairs of LEDs).

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts