R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before moving to California, I never understood when people said "loud pipes save lives". But lane-splitting here definitely carries with it a certain risk, and anything that can help is a good thing.

What I don't like about loud pipes is you annoy the crap out of your neighbors when you come home at say 1am from work or whatever. So what I'm looking for is an "adjustable" exhaust where you could either mechanically change the exhaust note by using your foot to toggle a lever which would bypass the can, or do so ideally at the flick of a switch.

I'm tired of following Harleys home while they clear the way so to speak.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Before moving to California, I never understood when people said "loud pipes save lives". But lane-splitting here definitely carries with it a certain risk, and anything that can help is a good thing.

What I don't like about loud pipes is you annoy the crap out of your neighbors when you come home at say 1am from work or whatever. So what I'm looking for is an "adjustable" exhaust where you could either mechanically change the exhaust note by using your foot to toggle a lever which would bypass the can, or do so ideally at the flick of a switch.

Just hook up a pair of BT Bose speakers and download several different exhaust videos from YouTube. Then you can play whatever exhaust note is appropriate for the traffic conditions.

·
Super Moderator
689 Posts
They make them for drag racing. Flip of switch and dumps exhaust to straight pipe. I've seen enough lane splitting on videos I don't think it would be for me except for stopped traffic.

·
Registered
856 Posts

Christmas is here musca999.....this one lets you do it electronically. I looked at it when I got my bike then realised would have to sell one of my kidneys to fund it

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Christmas is here musca999.....this one lets you do it electronically. I looked at it when I got my bike then realised would have to sell one of my kidneys to fund it
I was getting pretty excited, until:

Dr. Jekill & Mr. Hyde exhaust systems are currently not available in the United States. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you already are the owner of a Dr. Jekill & Mr. Hyde exhaust system and have a question regarding service or warranty, please send an e-mail to [email protected].

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Maybe you could install a 2" 3-way solenoid valve before the muffler with a normally closed "AB" Port. Then pipe the header into the "A" port and exhaust out of the "B" port. But if you hit the button you could stroke the the "B" port closed and redirect the exhaust out of the un-muffled "AB" port. Heck if you turned a reducer around to act like megaphone you could have a exhaust loudner.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I was getting pretty excited, until:

Dr. Jekill & Mr. Hyde exhaust systems are currently not available in the United States. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you already are the owner of a Dr. Jekill & Mr. Hyde exhaust system and have a question regarding service or warranty, please send an e-mail to [email protected].

:cry::cry::cry::cry:
Time to call your friends in Europe :)
Have em ship to a eurpoean address and then your friend can ship it to you. DHL is very efficient and not at all expensive. About $50 would get your stuff to USA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Time to call your friends in Europe :)
Have em ship to a eurpoean address and then your friend can ship it to you. DHL is very efficient and not at all expensive. About $50 would get your stuff to USA.
Thanks for the suggestion virkdoc. I have an '08GSA so probably not worth doing it for that bike. But I'm considering upgrading to the latest model and then calling my EU buddies ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
So what I'm looking for is an "adjustable" exhaust where you could either mechanically change the exhaust note by using your foot to toggle a lever which would bypass the can, or do so ideally at the flick of a switch.
While more of a pain in the ass, this guy was on to something.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Well all this assumes that the sound of an exhaust is just sound, which is not the case. The bike needs to be tuned to the pipe, so a variable exhaust might actually mean less performance. Later model GS already have an exhaust valve and the sound is louder when that is open. Maybe there is a way to hack that valve and keep it open? If you install the Bren Tune, the exhaust is louder and a bit more aggressive and I understand this is due to settings on the exhaust valve.

My Hayabusa has a full racing exhaust on it. I sneak in and out of the neighborhood by keeping the rpm down, At 3K it's no louder than stock. Where I you I would get a loud aftermarket exhaust and then just behave getting in and out of the neighborhood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts