R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting an adventure style helmet, for the peak really.
When and where i ride the peak will cut down on glare so i can see skippy, a bit early!
Bike is a 2006 R1200 GSA, if anyone has found any problems with the screen and peaked helmet use?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bought a Klim Krios on sale earlier this year. Game changer in terms of weight, field of view and comfort compared to my old Schuberth C3 modular, which I hated and which always pushed on my forehead.
No turbulence with the stock screen (2009 GS). I drive with the visor fully open 90% of the time even on the interstate. At first I removed the beak thinking it would catch the wind but then I realized how much it helps if you ride into the sun. Especially since the Krios does not have a sliding sun visor.
Downsides: the visor doesn’t always stay put, seems to depend on the day of the month or something. But it’s not very often and if I push it up a little harder it will usually stay. Hasn’t been a problem lately somehow, maybe a little dirt helps. Also the first notch opening is very far up already. With the Schuberth I could open it a sliver in the rain to prevent fogging (I wear correction glasses underneath so this can exacerbate the issue). You absolutely need the included pinlock layer, otherwise the thing fogs up all the time as soon as you close it. Vents are not adjustable. The pinlock works very well, and like I said I hardly close the visor anyway, only if it’s very cold.
I would still buy it again, especially for the $299 price I got it for. The light weight alone is such a difference.

·
Super Moderator
689 Posts
How rigid the peak is impacts how much buffeting you'll feel. More flimsy, more buffeting.

Taller windscreen or diffuser will help reduce the buffeting if it turns out to be a problem.

Check out this thread:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bought a Klim Krios on sale earlier this year. Game changer in terms of weight, field of view and comfort compared to my old Schuberth C3 modular, which I hated and which always pushed on my forehead.
No turbulence with the stock screen (2009 GS). I drive with the visor fully open 90% of the time even on the interstate. At first I removed the beak thinking it would catch the wind but then I realized how much it helps if you ride into the sun. Especially since the Krios does not have a sliding sun visor.
Downsides: the visor doesn’t always stay put, seems to depend on the day of the month or something. But it’s not very often and if I push it up a little harder it will usually stay. Hasn’t been a problem lately somehow, maybe a little dirt helps. Also the first notch opening is very far up already. With the Schuberth I could open it a sliver in the rain to prevent fogging (I wear correction glasses underneath so this can exacerbate the issue). You absolutely need the included pinlock layer, otherwise the thing fogs up all the time as soon as you close it. Vents are not adjustable. The pinlock works very well, and like I said I hardly close the visor anyway, only if it’s very cold.
I would still buy it again, especially for the $299 price I got it for. The light weight alone is such a difference.
Riding into the sun is what i need the peak for, with the sun not actually hitting the visor you can see into the side of the road so much better.
I hit a kangaroo years ago, its not good.
My worry was the peak may catch the wind behind the screen but its true, the screen deflects the wind pretty much entirely.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How rigid the peak is impacts how much buffeting you'll feel. More flimsy, more buffeting.

Taller windscreen or diffuser will help reduce the buffeting if it turns out to be a problem.

Check out this thread:
So a more rigid peak is the go, excellent thank you,

·
Registered
66 Posts
So a more rigid peak is the go, excellent thank you,
Lol, I thought it was called a beak. Ok got it, peak. Anyway the Krios peak has very large openings for the air to pass through. It has two positions, I like the more forward one for most shielding effect. I am short but still look easily over the windscreen on my GS (not GSA). It’s my first motorcycle which has wind protection without buffeting, and I am glad that the ADV helmet didn’t change this negatively.
btw: it is louder than the Schuberth. Can’t have it allI suppose.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have Nolan N104 without peak, but have foldable sunglasses. They are awesome, almost all riding season use them. Even with open face 90% of time there is no problem with buffeting, wind or so. Helmet there is a pinlock and ready for comm system.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Cannot bring myself to buy one...yet. I did try on a Klim Krios and it was really light. Most people who like it really like it.

·
Super Moderator
793 Posts
+1 for the Klim Krios hats. Very light and very aerodynamic and quiet if ridden out in the air with no windscreen. It fits me like it was made for my head and really like the transitions face shield. That's a game changer for me because when I'm out on a multi-day ride I'm often riding from daylight into the dark. I have to have a really dark shield for the glare and sun and before the transitions shield I'd have to stop and swap it out for a clear at dusk. Can't say enough good things about this helmet.

Reactions: Ryno23

·
2019 R1250 GSA
161 Posts
Shoei Hornet X2. No buffeting. Touted as an On and Off Road helmet. I also updated the lens with the "Transitions Lens".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i know i have to try them on, but as i experiment in the morning riding into the sun, i need a low fairly long peak.
The ARAI looks good ATM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently purchased a Scorpion AT-950.. I love it, and not sure if you can beat it for the price. It doesn't have the best airflow when it's all closed up, but I can ride at highway speed with the visor open and the sun shield down, so airflow issue is not something that worries me. Beak is very easy to remove if you're riding with heavy crosswind.

Reactions: Dan Diego

·
Registered
845 Posts
i know i have to try them on, but as i experiment in the morning riding into the sun, i need a low fairly long peak.
The ARAI looks good ATM.
Instead of a peak on my helmet I use a 1" strip of black electrical tape across the inside top of the helmet face shield.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Instead of a peak on my helmet I use a 1" strip of black electrical tape across the inside top of the helmet face shield.
Ryno,
I do too, best thing.
But, its the sun hitting the visor that keeps the shadows on the roadside dull.
If you ride into the sun, hold your hand up to put shade on the visor, you will notice a differance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am looking at getting an adventure style helmet, for the peak really.
When and where i ride the peak will cut down on glare so i can see skippy, a bit early!
Bike is a 2006 R1200 GSA, if anyone has found any problems with the screen and peaked helmet use?
What's your budget???
Helmet Flip-UP Off-Road Schuberth E1 Matt Black s-l500.jpg

On Ebay..A$695.20 Plus A$50.00 P & P from Italy.. Available in Oz but expect to pay up to & over a grand, there are other brands on the market but Schuberth is considered premium quality... I'm saving my bickies, I like the idea of the flip face!!

My current helmet has a good size peak & when up on the pegs in the slipstream it isn't a problem so don't go getting your knackers in a knot over the buffeting thing........ Just saying... :rolleyes: 😅😂🤣

·
Registered
164 Posts
Buy the one that fits and if you don’t want a random rock, bug, piece of road dirt to blind you, don’t ride with the visor down on the Interstates unless you are also wearing goggles. It only takes one little pebble and you’ve lost an eye.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Dude, share the wealth. Add link to where you purchased for $299...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts