R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
I am looking at getting an adventure style helmet, for the peak really.
When and where i ride the peak will cut down on glare so i can see skippy, a bit early!
Bike is a 2006 R1200 GSA, if anyone has found any problems with the screen and peaked helmet use?
I'm also thinking of an adventure style helmet and like the light weight of some. But in the meantime you might try this little trick with your full faced helmet, especially if you ride with the visor up most of the time. Get some black electrical tape and stick it to the bottom 1/2 inch of your visor. Then when ever riding into the sun you just adjust the visor to block the sun out. Its works just like the visors on your car and way more effective than any snap down sun visor found in many helmets these days.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
What's your budget???
Helmet Flip-UP Off-Road Schuberth E1 Matt Black View attachment 28528

On Ebay..A$695.20 Plus A$50.00 P & P from Italy.. Available in Oz but expect to pay up to & over a grand, there are other brands on the market but Schuberth is considered premium quality... I'm saving my bickies, I like the idea of the flip face!!

My current helmet has a good size peak & when up on the pegs in the slipstream it isn't a problem so don't go getting your knackers in a knot over the buffeting thing........ Just saying... :rolleyes: 馃槄馃槀馃ぃ
Spirit, that is outside my budget, i am trying to keep it all at about $800 Aus

Registered
Spirit, that is outside my budget, i am trying to keep it all at about $800 Aus
A$695.00 + A50.00 = A$745.00... That's Australian dollars... That's what the capital A in front of the dollar sign stands for 馃お... Well within your budget!! 馃憤

Registered
. . . if you don鈥檛 want a random rock, bug, piece of road dirt to blind you, don鈥檛 ride with the visor down on the Interstates unless you are also wearing goggles. It only takes one little pebble and you鈥檝e lost an eye.
Say what? How would you get something in your eye if the visor is DOWN? Do you mean don't ride with it UP?

Registered
I bought a Klim Krios Karbon Adventure Helmet and loved it. Then decided I wanted a modular ADV helmet so I bought the Touratech Aventuro Traver Carbon Fibre, which is a nice helmet, modular, includes drop down sun shield and is prepped for comm system (specifically Sena.) Drawback to the Touratech are that the modular part is too close to your mouth. With a comm system and a boom mike, the mike is pressed against your face. Also, the Touratech is considerably noisier than the Klim. I have now switched back to using the Klim due to it's weight, quietness and additional room in the mouth area. If Klim ever makes a modular ADV helmet, I will buy that. Anyone interested in a ever so slightly used Touratech Aventuro Traver, mine is for sale, Carbon Blue, size L.

Registered
Purchased an Arai XD-4 at the IMS show at a discount, still most expensive helmet I've owned, but worth every penny. Great bill (aka beak), slightly flexible but not flimsy. No buffeting. Great air management; air vents well and it doesn't get stuffy. I really love that the removable temple and cheek pads have layers of internal foam that can be subtracted for better fit if you have a prominent forehead or wider face and need just a little tweak. Very well thought out design. Sena communication devices install effortlessly in 5 minutes. I use a clear shield and switch from sunglasses to clear when dusk comes. Important note: if air buffeting is an issue for you, go on eBay and find a small "spoiler" for the top of your windshield. I have one on each of my adv bikes and it's a game changer. Hope this helps. Good luck, bud.

Registered
I suspect this is not the Krios Pro. Revzilla has the Element listed for $349 so it's possible it's somewhere else for $299.
The one I was talking about is called Klim Krios Valiance. Doesn鈥檛 say anything about Pro and I don鈥檛 know what the difference would be. 鈥淰aliance鈥 is just the color scheme.

Registered
I'm still searching for an ADV helmet that comes in a long oval.
I think it will be a long search... :confused:

For now I've put a Pro Shade on my Arai Signet-X. Can't use goggles though.

Registered
I've been a Schuberth owner for several years but I recently acquired Touratech's new Aventuro modular in carbon fiber. I wore it on a two-week MABDR trip and really like it. It's as quiet as the Schuberth E1 and the visor is much more precise. There was no buffeting at speed, either, and ventilation is better.
View attachment 28532

View attachment 28533
Touratech Aventuro Traveler Modular Helmet

Mike
The Touratech is way over his budget (AUD $1025.00) & that's not including P & P if purchased in the US... If purchased in Oz the price would scare a hungry dog out of a butcher shop... 馃槹

Registered
Ouch, sorry! My Touratech was cheaper than my Schuberth E1 in the states.

Mike
Mate we here in Oz can only drool over the prices you blokes pay in the States in comparison to Oz..
Importing goes some way to equalizing the equation but the P & P kills it... 馃槹 馃槹馃槶

Registered
I鈥檓 a big fan of the Icon Variant. I鈥檝e used it for about 5 years now鈥攎ostly offroad and it鈥檚 still a great helmet.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts