R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking for information on a dash replacement for a 2007 BMW R1200S.
The original is unsightly with the front fairing removed and I'm hunting for options.

I'm good with electrics but the CAN BUS system is new to me.

Has anyone successfully swapped the dash from another bike thats smaller/simpler?
Or has anyone fitted a Motogadget Motoscope pro or similar aftermarket gauge?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
It is pretty much impossible for the average guy to swap the instruments for anything other than oem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is pretty much impossible for the average guy to swap the instruments for anything other than oem.

How Average are we talking? I'm very electrically savvy. but info on the systems seem to be very few and far between.

Do you know of anyone that's ever done it?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
How Average are we talking? I'm very electrically savvy. but info on the systems seem to be very few and far between.

Do you know of anyone that's ever done it?
I do not know anyone that has done a swap on a Can-Bus GS.
All of the indicators in the IP communicate with the CAN-Bus and are driven by signals from it and there lies the problem, none of the indicators are driven by conventional means.

·
Survivor
816 Posts
Attempting this would be a big mistake in my opinion. Let us know how it goes. >:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

I'm looking for information on a dash replacement for a 2007 BMW R1200S.
The original is unsightly with the front fairing removed and I'm hunting for options.

I'm good with electrics but the CAN BUS system is new to me.

Has anyone successfully swapped the dash from another bike thats smaller/simpler?
Or has anyone fitted a Motogadget Motoscope pro or similar aftermarket gauge?

Thanks in advance :)
Hi T,
in'm going through the same idea with my BMW R1200S. It looks like that the Motoscope 9T model can be fitted. Have you solved it? Any feedback?
Thanks a lot.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
564 Posts
If you search with BMW Canbus decoding you'll find tons of information.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
564 Posts
Since the CanBus messaging for the display information is available, an Arduino could be used to 'translate' these messsage to have them displayed on another brand display (as long as you have the input requirement of the 'donor' display).

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
564 Posts
Conversion to a full analog display might be easier (if you are ok without all the bells and whistle of the regular dash).
  • For the speed, that will do SpeedBox™ Mechanical Cable Drive Converter
  • There is a lot of RPM gauges with analog sensor (mostly a wire twisted around the spark plug wire)
  • For the flasher indicator, connecting a LED to the flashers would not cause any damage.
  • Same for the High Beam indicator.
That would make a simple dash, but, I have no idea if a BMW can ride for a long time without display, I now the motor runs (I've tried on my 2009 R1200gs) but that's all. Maybe the first test would be a ride without dash (use your GPS to know your speed) then plug it back and check for error codes.
  • More creativity is needed for the gear indicator, but the sensor is a voltage divider (different voltage for each speed) reading from it with some op-amp/comparator will not cause problem either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you guys,
lot of work to do but I think I am in my right way (and community :)
Thank you all

1 - 11 of 11 Posts