R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I drilled the end of the thumbscrew and tapped it. With the help of blue Loctite, I used a stainless screw and washer to keep the thumbscrew from backing all the way out. I only have 610 miles on the bike so far but the screws are holding fine. I'll put them to the test pretty soon when I head for Alaska. With Loctite, I'm not really concerned about them loosening. Maybe this is a better photo:

Mike
Good thinking ! I've always been wary of losing those. In fact, I put some thread lock on every windshield related screw, as after my last 2000km trip i lost 3 screws. One side one that supports the GPS bracket and lower cymarc part ; one too shield attachment to black part ; and one that locks shield + assembly (black part) to the front end of the bike.
Needless to say I used the blue thread lock, don't want to go overkill on those screws.
I love your solution for that part, I need to look into that.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Good thinking ! I've always been wary of losing those. In fact, I put some thread lock on every windshield related screw, as after my last 2000km trip i lost 3 screws. One side one that supports the GPS bracket and lower cymarc part ; one too shield attachment to black part ; and one that locks shield + assembly (black part) to the front end of the bike.
Needless to say I used the blue thread lock, don't want to go overkill on those screws. I love your solution for that part, I need to look into that.
Well, Ayep, you got me to thinking/doubting, etc, and I removed the windshield and put a proper Phillips screw driver on those Loctited screws and backed them out. It required effort as the Loctite lived up to their well-deserved reputation. I replace the Phillips heads with a nice little Allen head screw and buttoned it up with Loctite.

I leave in two weeks for my seven week excursion so don't you dare mention any other doubts 'cause I'll start thinking/doubting!:grin2:

Mike

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, Ayep, you got me to thinking/doubting, etc, and I removed the windshield and put a proper Phillips screw driver on those Loctited screws and backed them out. It required effort as the Loctite lived up to their well-deserved reputation. I replace the Phillips heads with a nice little Allen head screw and buttoned it up with Loctite.

I leave in two weeks for my seven week excursion so don't you dare mention any other doubts 'cause I'll start thinking/doubting!:grin2:

Mike
I'm sure it'll be fine ☺ and clearly you were conscious on the potential risk of losing the odd screw. Especially true when accessories and mods come to replace oem ones. I initially hadn't put any thread lock and thought it would be good to share for those who have yet installed the cymarc brackets ; I found out the hard way. Things were flimsy but luckily managed to take her home.
On a side note, I love the cymarc product, but find the instructions could be clearer with additional pictures.
Once again though - easy on the loctite, and not the red stuff under any circumstances. The windscreen bolts are encapsulated in the plastic from what I see.
Time to relax and enjoy now!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'm sure it'll be fine ☺ and clearly you were conscious on the potential risk of losing the odd screw. Especially true when accessories and mods come to replace oem ones. I initially hadn't put any thread lock and thought it would be good to share for those who have yet installed the cymarc brackets ; I found out the hard way. Things were flimsy but luckily managed to take her home.
On a side note, I love the cymarc product, but find the instructions could be clearer with additional pictures.
Once again though - easy on the loctite, and not the red stuff under any circumstances. The windscreen bolts are encapsulated in the plastic from what I see.
Time to relax and enjoy now!
Thank you, Ayep. After an experience I had with Red Loctite many years ago, I use it only where it's supposed to go. Frankly, I think I should have to have a permit to use that stuff! I know what you mean about the Cymark instructions. When I installed them on my '14 GSA, I was a bit "fiddly" working with them. Went right on with the '18.

11 days and counting . . . . .

Mike

·
Enthusiast
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I ended up going with the Puig supports.

I rode Seattle - San Fran return and they worked just fine. Upper part of the windscreen still wobbles some in severe turbulence (after a tractor-trailer roars by) but overall, I'm happy with them.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts