R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Premium Member
2017 R1200GS
115 Posts
Got a call from Koso today to let me know they are shipping the unit out tomorrow. I think it's a small company and everyone's been out until today. Still on schedule for my expected mid-Jan estimated arrival.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well Done! After reading the manual for both the RX-4 (Yamaha TFT) and this RX-5 it appears that you can set the start mileage you want during the set up which would ensure you continue to see the 'total' mileage on the bike. Two questions for me are if you were to re-install the OEM display would it recognize it and then display the new total mileage and what the GS-911 will show during an autoscan.

· Registered
65 Posts
Well Done! After reading the manual for both the RX-4 (Yamaha TFT) and this RX-5 it appears that you can set the start mileage you want during the set up which would ensure you continue to see the 'total' mileage on the bike. Two questions for me are if you were to re-install the OEM display would it recognize it and then display the new total mileage and what the GS-911 will show during an autoscan.
I'm not sure how GS911 will show and what it can do with the mileage difference, but BMW ISTA has the capability to synchronize the difference between what is stored in BMSK (Engine Control Unit) and KOMBI (instrument cluster). It will take the higher mileage value as reference. In this case when you install the OEM cluster later, the BMSK has higher mileage than the KOMBI. BMW ISTA can take BMSK mileage and put it in KOMBI.

· Registered
3 Posts
Awesome.. Cant wait to hear the review and see the install on the Koso RX-5 I just had my OEM dash go out on my 2015 and got quoted $750 for a replacement form my dealer. So I am very much interested on the Koso as a direct replacement/upgrade !

· Premium Member
2017 R1200GS
115 Posts
The RX-5 arrived today! Here are my initial thoughts:

Install - 10/10

--Install took less than 10 minutes (including removal of stock cluster). Couldn't be easier (and my skills are average at best).
--Installation is solid - no less solid than stock (you screw a mounting plate onto the unit and then that mounts to the bike exactly as the stock unit does).
--Also includes a cover for the tunnel where the cable/connector comes from the bike (this is usually filled by a piece of the stock cluster).
--Automatically caught the mileage - no need to enter that manually.
--I haven't run a scan with the GS-911 yet to see if it caused any faults.

First Impressions - 8/10 (but should improve)

--Looks great (see pic). Very clean and other than the KOSO logo on the unit, I would not know it wasn't stock. I haven't seen the stock TFT, so I can't say how the look compares to that.
--Powered up it gives me everything I had on the stock cluster, but easier to see.
--Control is not too difficult (Wonderwheel click is back and forward (enter); trip/info toggle is up/down), but I'm getting used to it. Still have to think about it a good bit, but I expect this will get easier. Tends to knock me out of my Nav VI screen, so I have to use the touchscreen to go back to what I was knocked out of. Again, I think I'll learn the nuances and this shouldn't be a big issue.
--Music is very easy to use.
--Nav is easy to use, but just gives you the next instruction (no map, no traffic, etc.)

Finally, here's a link to the full instruction manual, which will tell you a lot more about the features and how they work than I can at this point.

At the end of the day, I think it's a great option for those who have to replace their cluster, or just want one that looks much more modern. Functionally, I think it's superior to the stock cluster, but is it worth the money? For me it is. YMMV. I'm keeping it for now, and likely won't switch it back until I'm selling the bike. I'll come comment again after a few hundred miles with it.

Rectangle Gadget Font Laptop part Laptop accessory
Road surface Asphalt Grey Font Tar
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Hood

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well done! I replaced my Nav VI with the XT and rely on it for my speed as the OEM speedo doesn't do the job without reading glasses. Looking at your pic of the RX-5 it would appear that the digits for the speed are larger and easier to see than the Nav VI....yes?

Look forward to your observations when you put the GS-911 on it.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Definitely. But still look to the NavVI to tell me the (suggested) speed limit.
Ok, after reading your initial thoughts again I understand the issue of having to manually 'Go Back' on the Nav VI screen to return to the Nav display and it raises another question as to how the wonder wheel will work for those who have swapped the Nav VI for the XT.

During the install of the XT and 'it's' cradle the Nav VI cradle is removed as is it's wiring harness. The XT's harness plugs in there with a BMW repair plug with one of the threes wires not used. Needless to say the wonder wheel now does nothing. I'll assume with the RX-5 installed with this set up the wonder wheel will again be active and control access to the various screens on the TFT and obviously no impact on the XT.

I'm guessing the 3rd wire on the Nav VI harness was for instructions from the wonder wheel. This will likely be confusing and of no interest to those who haven't swapped out their Nav VI (I was on my 6th replacement due to ghosting issues)

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Don't know of any way to get the wheel to control a Zumo XT, but this adapter will provide power to it,
No I don't either nor do I require it. I had considered using that Italian adapter but elected to just remove the cradle and harness and replace it with the XT. The install was seamless and as mentioned the BMW repair plug ($20) just gets connected to the 2 XT wires then it plugs into the OEM Nav connector.......you just don't use the 3rd wire.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
DucRider: When making suspension changes on the OEM you see the 'helmet, helmet luggage, two helmets' with the additional options of soft, normal and hard. The RX-5 seems to refer to this as riding modes instead and then strength? No icons? Thanks

· Premium Member
2017 R1200GS
115 Posts
DucRider: When making suspension changes on the OEM you see the 'helmet, helmet luggage, two helmets' with the additional options of soft, normal and hard. The RX-5 seems to refer to this as riding modes instead and then strength? No icons? Thanks
I don't believe my 2017.5 had the soft/normal/hard selections. I only ever saw MIN/AUTO/MAX, and that's all my manual refers to. That's mirrored on the RX-5.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I don't believe my 2017.5 had the soft/normal/hard selections. I only ever saw MIN/AUTO/MAX, and that's all my manual refers to. That's mirrored on the RX-5.
Interesting, I guess they changed it after my GSA build date of 6/17. You're likely already aware of this but a poster on a GS FB group who also ordered one spoke about an iPhone app KOSO K-Link, not sure what it does.

Look forward to more of your comments on the display and the GS-911 scan.

· Registered
1,367 Posts
You use the app to input destinations for the Nav. The RX-5 doesn't have any navigation ability itself - it just displays the turns/etc. from the app. So you have to have the app running (and input your destination there) to have any nav function on the unit.
Duc is there a way to just control the screen without disturbing the Nav6? I think on the oem screen holding a button for a few seconds ( I forget which) will let you control only tft or nav 6.,

· Premium Member
2017 R1200GS
115 Posts
Duc is there a way to just control the screen without disturbing the Nav6? I think on the oem screen holding a button for a few seconds ( I forget which) will let you control only tft or nav 6.,
I don't think there is a way (or at least I haven't found it yet) to "switch" the wonderwheel between the two devices so it solely operates one of them. As of now, I'm using the wonderwheel left and right clicks for the Koso, and on the Nav VI I use the wheel to zoom in and out (or other features using the wheel's spin; spinning has no utility or effect on the Koso). When my use on the Koso changes the screen on the Nav VI, I just use the Nav VI's touchscreen to go back to the screen I want. It hasn't been annoying for me.

General update:
  • I like the visual aspect of the Koso better than the stock instrument cluster - not surprisingly, it's just easier to see the information and I can have all of the relevant information on one screen.
  • The layout of information is good and the look is easy on the eyes - i.e., I feel like the colors are comfortable and the switch from day to night colors is effective.
  • I find it much easier to access my music and phone calls through the Koso unit (vs. the Nav VI as I was doing without the Koso).
  • I don't care for the nav feature in the Koso. It only provides the next turn info. I prefer the full map and traffic information from the Nav VI. Also, it's pulling from the phone, so it is another draw on the phone battery.
  • At the end of the day, my initial opinion hasn't changed after a few days'/rides' use: it is an excellent unit that doesn't add a lot of functionality (except the nav); it just does everything better and is a better user interface for those functions/features (other than nav).
  • I wouldn't get the Koso to eliminate use of the Nav VI, but others might be fine with the limited nature of its nav function. I think it's a no-brainer as a replacement if you have to replace your stock non-TFT instrument cluster. Whether it's worth the money if you just want to switch is obviously a personal decision. As I've said, it's worth it to me.
If I discover anything amazing or problematic, I'll post, but otherwise I think this is my final word on the Koso RX-5: Better than Cats - I'd see it again and again!😉

Edit: I lied - I'll check for faults today and update with that info.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts