R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to find out peoples experiences/opinions on airbag vests. Had intended to go the Klim route as I'm a big fan of the brand but after purchase, the entire process of trying to download app, syncing to vest, available tech support or lack thereof had me loose faith in the product protecting me if needed. I am also not at all a fan of the Helite idea. Now I'm seriously considering the Dainese Smart Jacket . . .

·
Survivor
708 Posts
You kinda stifled the urge to respond to your question. You seem to have made up your mind, so good luck.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
245 Posts
My colleague Artur life was saved by his Helite vest.

He had a real bad accident, airlifted to hospital, lots of broken bones, totalled GS but, no internal nor spine injury. Long recovery but he is back on the saddle... a year after.

He and his doctors think that he would not be alive without his vest.

That decided me to get one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Helite works well. Really only downside is you have to remember to clip to the bike. Forgetting to unclip when you park isn't a big deal; it gives you a tug to remind. I've worn it everyday for 2 years now and it's holding up great.

It's cool that you can recharge it yourself with a new cartridge, but they are spendy at $25 each.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was using a Helite Turtle (tethered) for few months but I stopped. I really dislike the feeling of being attached to the bike, especially after I saw a guy fall with is bike at a gas station because he forgot to unbuckle it.

So I bought an Ixon vest (same airbag than Klim one from In & Motion).
For one year of use I am satisfied even if I have never felt ! In Europe it seems to be the most used airbag so they have plenty of data and crash (and testimonies) and their regular updates with the app are a great plus.

I have tried the Smart Jacket in a shop. It's by far heavier and more bulky. No updates, no app, no neck protection and expensive process of maintenance after deployment.

For Klim, did you try to call them ? They have a great service from my experience.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tried Helite Turtle on and it was too heavy and did not let air through. Went with Hit-Air instead and have been really happy with it. Did not feel any extra heat during the summer months and it's really comfortable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a Hit-Air vest and it’s been dandy — as in not deployed yet. The simplicity and reliability of a mechanical system cannot be beat. I recommend the vest, not the jacket style as it gives you good options, like warm weather jackets and cold weather jacket use, and even no vest at all.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I probably going to go with the Ixon version. The tether types are great, but I'd probably space it when dismounting and trigger it often.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been using the Hit-Air vest for the last year and just recently started using the Klim vest. Both work fine and it's just a matter of which fits your riding and suiting up style.

BTW - The Hit-Air is now up for sale if that gives any indication of my direction.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've also been using the Hit Air vest and love it. I have a system that reminds me to clip and unclip it. I also painted the connection red (why they didn't do that is beyond me). The vest is very comfortable even in the Summer months. I looked at Klim, but the wacky way you had to either purchase or rent the control unit was a turn off. Sometimes plain old mechanical is the way to go. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Inquiring minds want to, what's your system? Well, at least I do as I often don't remember to unplug my heated vest when dismounting!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a Hit-Air vest and it’s been dandy — as in not deployed yet. The simplicity and reliability of a mechanical system cannot be beat. I recommend the vest, not the jacket style as it gives you good options, like warm weather jackets and cold weather jacket use, and even no vest at all.
I second that. I have the Hit-Air for well over 5 years now. It deployed twice on miner occasions when the bike was dropped at low speed. The system is very reliable and the vest is hardly noticeable when riding in any condition, cold or worm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up buying a Klim based on various reasons, owned it for maybe a couple of hours before I returned it as the set up with the app was totally not working as expected after following instructions for install, linking etc. Not the most confidence inspiring process for an item that ought to save your life when needed . . . Disappointed is mildly put . . . now I'm back looking at options. Hit-Air, Helite, Dainese or Alpinestars . . . 😏

1 - 15 of 15 Posts