R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The part numbers are different, but from all the photos I've seen of both model numbers it looks like an Akrapovic slip on exhaust/muffler from a 2017 R1200GSA will fit on a 2020 R1250GSA. Does anybody know if that will work?

1250 - #S-B12SO23-HAATBL

1200 - #S-B12SO16-HAABL

akrapovic_compare.jpg

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
162 Posts
The right end look different...

The rest of this post is a general advice, I have no private knowledge of the inner works of the Akrapovic mufflers, they might be exactly the same... or not.

Anyway, I advise against, a muffler is a 'resonant' device, It's not only a sound deadning component, it it part of the 'breathing' of the motor. Specially a performance exhaust, the interior is 'tuned' according to the motor displacement.

The displacement difference (1200 to 1250) is not a lot but, the emission control system is finicky. There is a possibility of 'burning' the O2 sensor (lamba) or throwing some error code. Then again, I would not purchase the wrong one but, if I had one from a former bike, I'd give it a try.

If you go that way, get a IR thermometer, reccord the temperature (in normal operating condition) of the cat converter if equipped and the header temp close to the cylinder head and close to the O2 sensor with the regular exhaust. If the temp are not higher, there is no error code and the bike perform and sounds as you like, why not.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. I have the Akrapovic on my 2017 1200GSA and I'm trying to determine how many of my many "farkles" will swap over to a 2020 1250GSA that I'm considering buying.

·
Registered
698 Posts
A friend just did.....or if you want complete peace of mind just sell the pipe and get a new one......but I wouldnt think it makes a diff and a lotta people have done it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts