R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered a new R1200GSA just waiting for delivery. I'm considering having a Akrapovic Silencer fitted. It's lighter, with slight power improvement and I'm told it sounds great...but quite expensive at AUD1300.

I'd appreciate any feedback and recommendations.

·
Registered
402 Posts
IMHO, save your money, and ride your bike. There will be plenty of upgrades that you'll want to do. Sometimes you don't even know that you want a very expensive part until you've put on a few thousand K. Who knows, an expensive muffler may be the furthest thing from your mind, when you start adding up all the guards, windscreen, seat, and luggage options, that you "need".

·
Registered
402 Posts
A word about performance exhaust.

I'm all for a cool sound. What most people miss, is that the performance gains come at the back of the curve. Whatever you gain in horsepower at high rpms you tend to lose at low end torque. Also, my personal experience has been, that any change in the exhaust has to be matched with a change in intake. This can be a simple download of a new fuel and spark map, or an expensive, but fun, day on the dyno, doing fine adjustments. Totally worth it to some, a waste of time and resources to others. Have a serious talk with your mechanic about the specific changes you want to make. An weigh the cost v benefit, before you head down that road. All that being said, I have very little personal knowledge of the after market exhausts available for the GS, and there may be some that shed weight and sound good without changing back pressure and flow too much. I hope I've armed you with some knowledge you can use, and not just confused your decision even more. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm all for a cool sound. What most people miss, is that the performance gains come at the back of the curve. Whatever you gain in horsepower at high rpms you tend to lose at low end torque. Also, my personal experience has been, that any change in the exhaust has to be matched with a change in intake. This can be a simple download of a new fuel and spark map, or an expensive, but fun, day on the dyno, doing fine adjustments. Totally worth it to some, a waste of time and resources to others. Have a serious talk with your mechanic about the specific changes you want to make. An weigh the cost v benefit, before you head down that road. All that being said, I have very little personal knowledge of the after market exhausts available for the GS, and there may be some that shed weight and sound good without changing back pressure and flow too much. I hope I've armed you with some knowledge you can use, and not just confused your decision even more. Good luck.
Thanks for the great input Scotty, I'm not that technically minded when it comes to the issues of changing standard gear so I appreciate the technical explanations. I'm going with your call...just enjoy the bike as is and save the $$ ... spend on something worthwhile. cheers Daz

·
Texascat
43 Posts
I installed an Akra, not the BMW made, but basically the same slip on, but cheaper. It has a sticker as opposed to the etched logo. Love the sound. not sume it gained much, if any, but it seems to ride a little better. Definitely dropped several lbs. from stock can.

Here is a video I made a while back.... the baffle is back in when I do long trips.

Video

1 - 5 of 5 Posts