R1200GS Forum banner

What months of the year are you riding your GS? (sorry, only had 10 options)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

So far, my BMW R1200GS has been great to ride (but of course!). I bought the bike because of it's ability to handle both on and off road situations, and because it's a quality motorcycle. However, I also bought the bike because I'm thinking about riding it almost year around (I can't ride in the snow, but every other month).

I was wondering if you are riding your GS year around (what months) and what you would recommend for someone that has not (yet).

Thank You,

Eric
BMWR1200GS.com

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Depends where you live, I guess. Here in the SF Bay Area it rarely freezes so riding is pretty much a year round thing (assuming you've got reasonable rain gear). I don't like riding in ice or snow -- but that may be because I don't have much experience in ice or snow. That said, it doesn't seem to stop me from doing so:

It was above freezing when I took that pic.

// marc

·
GS Rider
49 Posts
There is typically a week or two in Seattle where there is icy, snow covered roads. I am working on a set up to install studs on my tires to get over that problem.

Otherwise it is year around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Eric,

I assume you're aware of heated riding gear. If so, ignore the rest of this post. If not, read on.

Specifically, I think everyone needs a heated jacket liner or vest. I prefer a full jacket liner with sleeves rather than a vest. My favorite is the Gerbing Jacket Liner: http://www.gerbing.com/Products/Liners/heatedJacketLiner.html

Unfortunately the GS accessory outlet can only handle 5 amps (SOOOOO annoying, by the way!), but you can connect the power directly to the battery with the included harness (This particular liner pulls about 6-7 amps). You'll also need to buy a controller to vary the jacket temperature. They make both a portable one and one that can be mounted to the bike.

There are many other options available in the heated gear dept., but a liner is sufficient in most cases. A couple other companies making these things are Widder and Aerostich.

You'll need some sort of balaclava to wear over your head when it's cold as well.

David

·
Registered
336 Posts
I ride year round in Oregon, plenty of rain, some frost and once in a while ice or snow. If there is heavy frost, snow or ice on road, I cage it. Otherwise, some good thick socks, overpants w/liners, all season jacket (Olympia AST) and a gerbings liner. The full jacket type with heated sleeves and a tall collar that heat also, feels real good on the neck. Dont wear a balacava thing, tight under helmet, but I do wear a buff thing on my neck I pull up under the helmet some times. Turn the heated grips on high, put some silk inserts in the leather unlined gloves and take off. I do plan on making some modifications to hte handguards so they will block the wind more. I made some mitts for my 1150R and they worked awesome with the grips on. Due to the size of the handguards on the GS, think I am going to try to velcro some material onto the lower part of them to keep wind from coming up under them and hitting the finger tips.

Any way, short answer, go heated jacket at least. Once you go electric, there is no going back. I even use mine in the summer on those cold mountain mornings when all you have is a mesh jacket. Heated liner saves you from packing extra crap and works great under mesh for those cold mornings you just need a bit more for a few hours. As for powering it, right to the battery or to a fuse box wired to the battery. Piece of cake to do.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I hate road salt

and so I pretty much put the bike away once the salt trucks are out. I have been known to pull the bike out in February if the weather is good and warm enough that I can wash it when I'm done riding.

If there isn't any salt I'll ride down to about -5C, or roughly 22F.

I have not encountered ice, touch wood. I avoid roads where black ice might form if the temp is close to freezing. I have rotten luck with ice even in the car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I will ride every month, but it slows down in jan and feb. I have gerbings, and as long as the roads are dry, I'll get out there. I tend to commit to much longer rides than I should in the cold months. :confused: Tough to find riding buddies in the cold.

·
GS Rider
49 Posts
Hey Eric,

Specifically, I think everyone needs a heated jacket liner or vest. I prefer a full jacket liner with sleeves rather than a vest. My favorite is the Gerbing Jacket Liner: http://www.gerbing.com/Products/Liners/heatedJacketLiner.html

David
Yes, I have one of those liners and it is so old the stitching is falling apart on it.
You will find though if you ride all day long at near freezing temperatures the liner itself is not enough. I found that if you use the liner in conjunction with a Klim Inversion jacket. Gerbing with the Klim over it works the best.

I just need to figure out how to keep me feet warm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used to ride all year round, but TBH, riding in winter gives me no joy at all these days. Cold, wet, slimey roads, car drivers with misted up windows who don't look etc etc.

If there's one of those nice crisp bright winter days, I'll maybe take the bike out for a short ride, but that's about all. So from November to March it's hibernation time for the GS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.