R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, while you've sorta admitted your "mistake", those double yellow lines are generally put there for a reason, and not observing them doesn't qualify as a "mistake". "Mistakes" can be forgiven, but a direct violation of the law, not so much. "A guy with my (your) experience should have known" it was dangerous, and a violation of the law. It could possibly have had dire consequences, as you almost found out, and if caught in the act, it would usually earn you a "performance award" and a fine. I wonder what that guy in the truck thought of your decision. It's stunts like these that give motorcyclists a bad name.

As a very young man, I earned a performance award for the very same thing, except in my. case there wasn't an oncoming vehicle in my path, just a Highway Patrol officer right behind me. I just couldn't take the oil burning exhaust fumes from the jalopy in front of me anymore - blue smoke boiling out from behind the car. The HP officer had no sympathy.

In the aviation community there's a saying - "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots." It occurs to me that he same might be said of motorcyclists.

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
1,914 Posts
The best thing you can do is take down the video as it serves no purpose other than to incite negative comments. Of which you should get many.

Reactions: Ryno23

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, while you've sorta admitted your "mistake", those double yellow lines are generally put there for a reason, and not observing them doesn't qualify as a "mistake". "Mistakes" can be forgiven, but a direct violation of the law, not so much. "A guy with my (your) experience should have known" it was dangerous, and a violation of the law. It could possibly have had dire consequences, as you almost found out, and if caught in the act, it would usually earn you a "performance award" and a fine. I wonder what that guy in the truck thought of your decision. It's stunts like these that give motorcyclists a bad name.

As a very young man, I earned a performance award for the very same thing, except in my. case there wasn't an oncoming vehicle in my path, just a Highway Patrol officer right behind me. I just couldn't take the oil burning exhaust fumes from the jalopy in front of me anymore - blue smoke boiling out from behind the car. The HP officer had no sympathy.

In the aviation community there's a saying - "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots." It occurs to me that he same might be said of motorcyclists.
I appreciate your sermon and since I both deserved it and opened myself up to it I will just take my due rewards. I posted that video because it really shows 2 things: First is how something that seems relatively risk free can change at an instant-that's why we don't do stupid things on motorcycles. The second thing is to stay calm and in control as long as you can as most situation you can find a hole to ride out of if you stay cool.

I posted that video so a very specific group of riders could see it. They appreciated that a guy with 45 years on motorcycles would admit that it only takes one brain fart to end the party. I don't know if they will have patience out there on the road but they did seem to get my point. Frankly I post my mistakes often and have a pretty good following on another site.

I seriously doubt that video gets any comments on YouTube. It will be lucky to get 40 views.

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
1,914 Posts
If you going to leave it posted at least put the minute and seconds mark when the incident occurs. It'll save everyone else from watching you follow cars for 3 or 4 minutes.

Reactions: Crazyarch

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
Lately I've watched quite a few motorcycle safety videos on this guys channel:

He does a solid job of post-accident analysis...you should maybe send you video to him. 😄 While you will catch a lot of flack for the video, I think there is a ton of value in postmortem close call (and accident) analysis.

Speed is a huge factor in this and many accidents. Crossing the double yellow is always a huge risk. As for the car you passed, I assume every car will kill me and ride accordingly.

If the comments go really downhill we can close the thread.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I appreciate that you use a lapse in judgement to educate and remind others just how quick and easy it can happen. Thank you for being of a mind to risk embarrassment for the benefit of all. In aviation, many lessons are learned through experience. I doubt that most of us have not had a few “I’ll never do that again!” moments. I’m very glad that you came out the other side wiser and unscathed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The best thing you can do is take down the video as it serves no purpose other than to incite negative comments. Of which you should get many.
Actually I would like to thank @crazyarch for posting this, b/c it is a great reminder to us all, who are tempted every-now-and-then to do just that,
I.e. I am 50+y/o with 20+ years riding (re post stupidity age) and still find myself doing exactly that at times,
And I find that these kind of footage (or worse) remind me what is at stake.

·
Super Awesom Person
921 Posts
I don't have a problem with passing cars over the double yellow. I would only have done one at a time. It takes two seconds to pass a single car. One thousand one one thousand two and I'm done. I certainly wouldn't record myself doing it.
In some states people get angry but here in California people will move over a bit to help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.