R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
tomdez
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying the Alt Rider crash bars for my 2020 GS 1250. After seeing the Alt Rider skid plate on their website, I am debating on also purchasing their skid plate. I never considered changing the stock skid plate until now. Are the stock skid plates good enough? Has anyone experienced a failure of the stock skid plate? Will I lose clearance with the Alt Rider skid plate?The Alt Rider skid plate has quite a bit more coverage and looks pretty beefy.

Thanks

Tom

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
457 Posts
I found theses comparative pictures on the web (It is the SW Motech skid plate)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I had Altrider bars and plate on my GS. Great products. Only thing I dont like is the little hole they put on the plate to drain the oil. I dont like to have excess oil anywhere and I found it nearly impossible to change the oil and not leave some on the inside of the plate. IMO, The plate is not one off those you should take off every oil change. When I bought my GSA I also bought BMW's plate. Easier to remove for oil changes and lower price point.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
457 Posts
I have also replaced the stock sheet metal plate by the BMW Rallye. Have to remove it for oil and filter change but it's easy (only 6 bolts, the support stays in place).

·
Super Moderator
946 Posts
I've got the Altrider skid plate on my '16 GS and I've treated it pretty rudely. It's been everything it should be and I'd buy it again.

The only glitch, if you can call it that, is changing the oil is a pain with it. There's a hole in it that is useless - it gets covered in oil inside. Fortunately, it's easy to remove the front bolts in it to lever it down and clean it out. If you take your bike to the dealer for an oil change, they'll charge you more to R&R the skid plate to do the job which, OK, I get it but it's literally 2 bolts to drop it down and clean it out. I do my own oil/filter changes.

Reactions: Dan Diego

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here are a couple of photos of the difference.. (the small one is a 2020 GS stock one, the awesome looking one is the AltRider)

Attachments

Reactions: Dan Diego

·
Registered
2020 r1250 gs
16 Posts
The stock skid plate offers little protection against damaging your headers. If you ride her as she is meant to, you will do yourself a solid by installing an after market skid plate, I have an alt rider and it works as it should, As for the oil changes, i use the carton from a roll of toilet paper to funnel the oil straight into my catch basin.

·
Super Awesom Person
680 Posts
I don't do much off road so I only have the stock skid plate. However I take it off to do the oil change. It gives me a chance to cleanout all the crap that builds up in there. Six screws.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Depends on what you are planning to do. I bent the crap out of my stock plate this fall trying to get up an impossible piece of ledge. The hardware is designed to shear off before it damages the engine case so no damage done to the rest of the bike. I replaced it with a used stock one, just have to pick a better line next time :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had Altrider bars and plate on my GS. Great products. Only thing I dont like is the little hole they put on the plate to drain the oil. I dont like to have excess oil anywhere and I found it nearly impossible to change the oil and not leave some on the inside of the plate. IMO, The plate is not one off those you should take off every oil change. When I bought my GSA I also bought BMW's plate. Easier to remove for oil changes and lower price point.

I too have the same setup, and yes, you could put oil inside/top of the skid plate when changing oil...unless you do what I do!..

Cut a toilet paper roll tube in half, making 2 tubes.

Put one tube away.

Now cut the tube length wise.

Now insert said tube into hole in skid plate flush against oil nut.

Now remove nut, change oil, install nut.

Pull now dirty paper tube out and throw away.

I've used this technique for over 20 oil changes without an issue.

I also cut my wife's flexible cutting board to form a barrier/funnel when changing the oil filter, stop the oil from splooging onto the skid plate

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
457 Posts
Great idea Kam, thanks.

I use aluminum foil when draining transmission (hexhead have separate oil for transmission), drain plug is nicely located to spill oil on the frame... I make sort of a chute (open funnel) to guide oil away from swing arm and frame.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I too have the same setup, and yes, you could put oil inside/top of the skid plate when changing oil...unless you do what I do!..

Cut a toilet paper roll tube in half, making 2 tubes.

Put one tube away.

Now cut the tube length wise.

Now insert said tube into hole in skid plate flush against oil nut.

Now remove nut, change oil, install nut.

Pull now dirty paper tube out and throw away.

I've used this technique for over 20 oil changes without an issue.

I also cut my wife's flexible cutting board to form a barrier/funnel when changing the oil filter, stop the oil from splooging onto the skid plate
Why not use a toilet paper roll instead?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok now I get it and thank you, That is brilliant btw...

Going to jump on Fusion 360 and make one I can 3D print now

·
Registered
113 Posts
No one has mentioned the altrider attaches to frame only where the stock attaches to the motor. Having the stock shear off so it doesn't damage the motor is good but what is the point of something having a one time use if you are actually in the woods using it? I see the stock one as protection from the front tire throwing something up off the road rather than using it to slide over a log or some other big hit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts