R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to this list, and have just purchased an 09 12GS. It is equipped with ESA, ABS, and the computer. I really like the bike, and am not new to BMW and GS as I have had a 100GS, 1100GS, 03 1150GS. This bike is, in my opinion the best of the lot (although I still have a soft spot for the 100GS).

There is, though, one minor annoyance with the new bike. The ambient temperature gauge is inaccurate after the bike warms up. My guess is the sensor is probably located under the instrument cluster, and right behind the oil cooler, so when the bike warms up, heated air is going to the sensor. Can anyone confirm this, or possibly suggest another reason for the inaccuracy?

As I said before, this is a minor issue, but am curious. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi and welcome to r1200gs.info forum.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know the ambient temperature sensor is located on the left side of the beak.
It's indeed not very far from the oil cooler but I've never been to suspect it to provide very inaccurate value. Perhaps half a degree so far.

It's not impossible that this summer I will complain because it will give way too higher value. ;)

Anyway, you choosed the right motorbike. So far I love mine.

Alex

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, you are correct about the location of the sensor. Now I am really in a quandary. Temp. reading is fine when I first start the bike, but after ten minutes or so, the reading is maybe five degrees high. This is when the bike is moving, not just standing and idling. The sensor is far enough away from the oil cooler, that it should not be an issue. The bike is blue, so maybe it heats in the sun and radiates some heat to the sensor. It will be due for the 600 mile service next week, so I will mention it to the tech.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think the sensor is a thermistor which is a resistor that changes resistance
with temperature change. I have never known these to be 100%
accurate. There is a CPU mod that some guys are using
that "fools" the cpu to enrichen by raising the temp that the
resistor "feeds" to the cpu. Also there are *C and *F differences
that someone might have done a software change for that
isn't linear.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi again.
Sorry for forgetting this is a very international forum.
I mentioned up to half a degree (or perhaps a degree) but this is celcius.

We are not really use to fareneight here (I can't even spell it correctly). ;)

Two days ago it goes from 28º Celcius at stop to 28.5º while riding.
So definitely an acceptable value.

Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Temperature sensor

I also experienced an "enhanced" temperature reading after my 09' warms up. But this is peanuts when you considered almost every motorcycle on the road has a speedometer that is 5 m.p.h. or more optomistic.
Don't niggle about the temp; enjoy riding a great bike.

·
'09 R1200GS + '81 R80 G/S
154 Posts
My ambient air temperature also seems to register a few degrees C high.
I only look when I'm riding as I don't run the motor when I stop for anything more than a red traffic light.

I had the "ice" indicator come on when the air temperature was 2degC.
Got a fright, I did!:cool:

I think this is a safety margin because, if the air is 2degC, then the road could easily be below freezing
- especially on bridges which are degrees colder than the roads on Mother Earth.;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you consider the ice warning with my bike, it makes the condition worse. In theory, at least, since my reading while riding is five to ten degrees F. high, it will not give you the ice alert until already below freezing! That said, I appreciate the input on this issue, as I started this thread. Perhaps I should take the responce from the one poster, who said just enjoy the bike. Also, I apologize to the fact that I did not think about the fact that this is an international forum, and I should have been specific regarding F or C.

BTW, I really do like the GS. Since I have owned one of each generation, including the 100GS, I can certainly attest that this is the best. I have yet to miss a shift, which was commonplace on my 1100 and 1150. The dual plug engine is very smooth and makes good power through out the rev range. The ESA really does work! Hell, I may not even have to change the seat (although a bit soft...time will tell)! Now as long as the electronics keeps working, I will be one happy camper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My '09 reads high as well. On average 5-7 degrees (F). Relatively accurate when first started. My buddy who I ride with also has a '09 and interestingly reads consistently 4-5 degrees less. Not a big deal. I just do the math. Just a small initial irritation one doesn't expect from a BMW (my first one). My clutch slave cylinder crapped out at 600 miles leaving me stranded. 7k miles later, so far so good. Best all around bike I have ever owned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone found a solution to the inaccurate ambient air readings? Mine can be off 5-12 degrees F in the summertime. Usually the first start reading is accurate.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yup the temp sensor is located left side of the beak near the oil cooler.

I always figured its like a Guzzi tachometer. Good for letting you know the engine is rotating and not much more.

631C3D3D-134D-4BC9-809F-700AA91ECE5D.jpeg

·
2019 R1250 GSA
152 Posts
I have found the ambient temperature reading on my 2019 R1250 GSA to be quite accurate.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
214 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2009 R1200gs, the displayed temperature is 1-2 deg. (Celcius) more that the real temp. There is a small mod. that makes things a little better.

PerazziMx14 provided us with an excellent picture of the sensor, all tucked under the beak, thanks.

Unscrew the sensor and re-install it hanging under (instead of over) the bracket, it will be more exposed to the wind and less exposed to the heat coming from the oil cooler.

Cost nothing, takes a few minutes, can be reverted if you don't like it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I went out to the apothecary today. I knew it was hot even before I saw the dash read 95 degrees. Really is the accuracy that critical? I mean I know when I'm hot, cold or comfortable without looking at a number.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I relocated the sensor from directly under the beak on the left side to the center bracket facing down. That move corrected the high readings that it had.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts